Performer Kettlepizza question

David Phillips

My wife really wants me to get a Kettlepizza ever since she saw a youtube clip last week. I have been looking and haven't seen many Kettlepizza's on Performers. Mostly Kettles. I have a Performer but not a standalone Kettle. Would the high heat 700-900 degrees cause issues with the Performer? Either way might give me an excuse to get another Kettle to make pizzas for the kids and neighborhood this summer at the pool.

Look on Craigs List for a used kettle at a great price and make it your dedicated pizza oven. That way your Performer is always ready for other things.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Let us know which way you go with this.

Would the high heat 700-900 degrees cause issues with the Performer
You won't need temps exceeding 700 and in fact, you'll be fine around 650

Your Performer will fine at 700, your biggest concern is that you might set your beer too close to your BBQ and it'll get warm. I don't suggest setting your beer down :)

Welcome to the forum

Be careful not to get too hot. This happened to my performer on one side. Now I use a dedicated weber.

The directions suggest you take off the plastic rollers on the lid bale. When I got my Kettle Pizza I realized my new-to-me performer's rollers were already melted. I haven't been able to remove them, but I haven't tried too hard. I just disassembled the bale. I tried to tell my wife I needed the dedicated Weber for the pizza, but she just laughed.

Based on Tony's post, I retract mine. Maybe it's best if you have a separate kettle. Of course......you can use your smoker, but you don't want me to get started on that, lol

Thanks for the advise. With that support I was able to get my wonderful wife to agree to let me watch Craigs List for a kettle to use as dedicated pizza oven. As a bonus she is going to let me also replace my 15 year old Brinkmann vertical smoker with a WSM. Woo Hoo. Her main concern is having too much on the deck. I've got lots of room to expand. :cool:

David, by no means would I want you to not purchase another weber kettle, but one of the suggestions/solutions for the melting spacers is to use a wooden spool from sewing thread. Just an option incase your wife becomes impatient waiting on a deal on CL.
Tim

I just got a one of the new 2015 performers with the updated bale set up. They plastic peices are a darker color and possible made of a different material? Do I need to worry about them on my new performer? I melted them on my previous performer but these are spaced away from the kettle, look possibly like a different material?

I have a newer model performer and just got the kettle pizza. I have only used it once so I can't say for certain what may happen, but my plastic spacers are fine. The pizza instructions tell you to remove it.

Woo Hoo: Update: My wife agreed to let me get a dedicated kettle to use as pizza oven. I found one for a good price on CL. During the search I also ran across a deal on a very slightly used 22.5 WSM. Was able to snag it in addition to 22.5 kettle. Going Saturday morning to pick up both. My Weber family had a growth spurt from 1 to 4 in two weeks. Thanks to all for advise.

Back