Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first gas grill -- Redhead Genesis 1100

TVWBB Fan

My first gas grill -- Redhead Genesis 1100

Well, it's been 6 months since I found this rabbit hole of Weber gas grill restoration and I've been on the lookout for one to join my 10-year-old OTG. Finally yesterday I picked up this Genesis 1100 on Craigslist for $45

Genesis 1100

It seems to be in good condition. There's one spot of rust on the frame, but none I can see on the firebox. The flavorizers and cast iron grates are in need of scouring, but serviceable. And the durawood shelves are solid. I was sure they were real wood at first, and was pretty excited until I looked up the SN.

I'm not sure about the burner assemblies, having little experience with those, but I'm going to start with cleaning and painting and get to those later. I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions, but I wanted to share my find. (Meanwhile, my wife was under the impression when I went to pick it up that I'd be grilling dinner tonight.)

TVWBB Super Fan
    Kelly, that will be an easy re-hab. I did a 2000 genesis silver C by myself last summer that I took off a friend's trailer in parts as he was headed to the scrape yard. I'd never attempted anything like it before, and with the help of several members here walking me through it, after a week and a half and very sore arms, I had the most beautifully restored Weber I could only dream about! I know everyone won't agree with me, and you may not need to or want too, but I replaced every part on the grill except the manifold. The grates, flavor bars, the burners, the ignition, the warming rack and basket, and they were a breeze to put back together, and I didn't have to worry what was cooked on the grill or what animal may have pee'd on it. And the painting was easy too. You'll do fine! Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can!

TVWBB All-Star
    No need to replace everything Mary as it's a high heat environment. Doesn't matter what animals pee'd on it or anything else. Scrub down with some cleaner, rinse it with some water than blast it with some heat. Only parts that need to be replaced are those that aren't working (ignitors) or those that have rusted through (burners, flavorziers, grates, other misc parts).

Good luck with the rehab Kelly. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

That genesis looks great. With a little bit of elbow grease you will have it looking brand new. You will have one of the best cooking grills you could possibly find. Congrats. Looking forward to your progress and pics.
    2013 WSM 22.5 , 2008 C&B Performer 22.5 , 96 Genesis 1000 Redhead , 1995 Smokey Joe , 2 HeaterMeters, Vortex

TVWBB Fan
    I got it just about all broken down over the weekend and started sanding the firebox. I'm definitely at the fork in the road I assume others have reached -- do I get every bit of the box and frame sanded down to metal and painted, or do I just clean up the frame, and only worry about the exterior of the firebox -- sanding as smooth as I can and painting?

My immediate practical question -- if I sand everything smooth, even though it will be bare metal in some places and stubborn old paint in others, will I get good results with the new paint? How thorough should I worry about being? I'm wondering if it would be at all worthwhile to just pay to have it sandblasted.

TVWBB Fan
    And here are some additional pics. Full album is here

Can I ask a silly question? I have a similar 3-burner Genesis, but I can't figure out how to get the burners out. They don't have a screw on the two outside ones, but it's some kind of holder. Maybe it was a screw at some point and has corroded.

I need to get a good picture and see what everyone thinks.

Jeff

TVWBB Fan
    Mine had two screws inside on the left side -- vertical through the tips of the front and back burners. They were pretty covered in gunk so may be hard to see, but they seemed to be stainless and came out really easily with a flat-head screwdriver.

After that, there are two brackets on the outside right that hold the manifold to the body -- mine had wingnuts. And then you'll need to unplug the igniter.

That is kind of what I was thinking, and the owner manual confirms that. I will have to see if I can get a screwdriver on there and see.

Thanks!

TVWBB All-Star
    You have to take the control panel off exposing the valve manifold. There's a support piece holding the manifold in place. Remove it and slide the manifold to the right. This pulls the nozzles out of the burner tubes and gives you room to slide the burner tubes to the right as well. The two screws on the left inside the firebox shouldn't need to be unscrewed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast