My first gas grill -- Redhead Genesis 1100

I worked on it last night with one of those abrasive wheels (looks kind of like lava rock -- flakes off a bit as you use it) and really made some progress, although it didn't get all the paint off about half the time. As long as I get it smooth, even if it's a mix of sanded paint and bare metal, I should be fine, right? I'm assuming a couple coats of paint will smooth it all out.

I will need to get a wire brush though for all the nooks and crannies inside. I'm not going to worry about that part too much since I'm not painting it, but I'd like to get the old seasoning off the top half at least.

fefohPWl.jpg

Now, about the burner screws everyone is warning me about. Are we referring to the small screws that hold down the burner tips on the left side of the box, or the big ones on the right that hold the manifold brackets? I already took out the small ones on the left, but I haven't touched the ones on the right. Those look like they need to stay put.

If you got the small ones out without damaging the fire box or breaking the screws and making a HUGE headache you might want to buy a lottery ticket cause you got L U C K Y! The ones on the right just leave alone

Given the good condition of the burners, I wonder if they had been replaced relatively recently along with those screws, since they came out pretty easily and were shiny stainless steel. Maybe somebody else bit that bullet for me.

Kelly, upon looking at your rusted beyond repair frame part, I dug out the schematic I printed out from the Weber site, with all parts and part numbers.
Weber is calling that rusted piece a " Caster frame for Genesis Silver C and Silver B". It's #19 on my schematic, with part # 90201. With that being said, My Stainless Steel 2001 Preformer had a very rusty / corroded top frame side bar. I had to order the whole top frame in order to get that rusted piece out of there! To my surprise, Weber had that top frame, and sent it too me for like $41 bucks! When the frame arrived, one side of the handle, the end plug was all broken, so I called them and asked them to send me a new plastic end plug. Instead of sending me an end plug or maybe 2, to make sure they matched, they sent me a whole new top rail and told me to discard or whatever I wanted to do with the other rail! No charge! So my advice to you on your rusted caster frame, is go and print out the schematic, look for the piece you need with part number and call Weber and see if they have one! Also, have you registered that grill with Weber yet? If not, do so!

I'm kind of against sanding down the outside of the firebox. Reason for that is because it has a texture to it that will be lost if you try to go right down to the metal. But, if you have gone down to the metal in some areas, you really need to sand down the entire box as a couple layers of paint won't fill things in and make the box smooth. You'll end up with some parts of the box retaining texture while the parts of the box you did sand sown will be smooth.

Mary, currently, that part on the Weber interactive schematic doesn't provide a link to a part number, which would suggest they aren't selling them anymore. That's OK though -- I'm fine with just repairing that joint if it needs it.

DaveW, thanks for that insight -- it sounds right to me. I'm inclined to live with uneven texture, which I can't imagine will be too noticeable, but I'm sure I'll get carried away with the sander and go ahead and take it all off.

Two more questions:

1. I seem to be missing the support rod for the left swing table as well as the little bit that (it appears) it hooks to that slides along the frame. ereplacementparts.com has the rod for $13, but it's unclear if that includes the slider too and if it's compatible with the 1100. Anyone have any insight, and might I just make my own?

2. I thought there was someone on the forum who was making and selling wood handles, but can't find him. Does anyone know?

Thanks for all the help -- what a friendly community we've got here!

Kelly, the Weber site does not have a interactive schematic, at least not on mine, anyway. But you do have to click on "View All" once you pull your grills schematic up and it will load the numbers that are being referred to on the schematic itself, as well as the part number. Then you just call Weber at 800-446-1071 and tell the rep you need a new caster frame for your grill, and the part # is such and such.
You can also call them with your serial number off the grill, and they will look up the part number for you, and give you the price. They will also email you a copy of the schematic with parts list if you ask.
Weber reps are the most helpful customer service agents you'll ever deal with. They truly are pleasant, knowledge worthy, helpful and will easily gain your trust. Give them a try!

Kelly, I just called Weber, they DO have the caster frame for the Silver B or C part # 90210 for $42.37 with $7.00 shipping.

Good to know, Mary. Thanks for the info.

I haven't looked too closely at the frame yet, but I'll be curious if something like this would do the trick.

Kelly, in no means am I a fabricator, in fact, I need someone to cut the vasconia 32 quart pot I just bought to make a mini smoker. But, that fitting you showed, just may work with the additional purchase of some square aluminum tubing, along with some handy man know how. That's why I ordered the top rack to my SS Performer, instead of trying to fix it. I'm one of those that can't even draw a straight line, even with a ruler, so I don't even try. Good Luck with it and keep us all posted.

Kelly, instead of spending money and trying to jimmy rig it, you might just kind of back burner it a bit. Make a post here asking if anyone has that part to spare. There might be some people around with "parts grills" that can help you out.

Thanks Dave(s).

I saw that part, but at $28, I think I'll be hacking something together. I should be able to make one out of steel rod and sheet metal.

And, I started cleaning the frame last night and I've got no worries about the rusty joint. It sanded up nicely and is only one of about 3 spots where I think I'll need any paint. Some scrubbing with steel wool and most of it looks like new.

Progress!

I got it up and running this weekend. I still need to redo the shelves and I've got a warming basket and shelf, drip pan, thermometer and cover on the way.

It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy with how it's turning out. At the moment, I'm at $45 for the grill, $50 for filled tank and $30 worth of paint and supplies. The $55 Weber cover and other parts are going to blow up the total pretty quick, but I should still be under $225 when I'm all done.

H0dJd3al.jpg

Check out those little blue lights :)

4HpQEcZl.jpg

Also, on the subject of making my own side table support -- can someone tell me what size rod that is? I'm guessing 1/4 inch.

WOW! She turned out beautiful! I think you're right on the money doing this rehab. I think I spent about $250 doing my blue one, and that was with replacing every part. I bought 99% of my parts on Amazon ( I'm Prime, so 2 day Free Ship) and used Weber to buy the complete nuts and bolts pack for the grill, for like $10 bucks. DaveW turned me on to that wonderful idea!

Looks great. What did you finally do with the wood shelves on the side and bottom? What wood did you use and what finish did you put on them?

Back