Paleo Friendly (Friendlier) Five Sauce

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
So my wife and I are doing a modified caveman diet which cuts you way back on carbs. On the one hand this is a great diet for grillers because you eat lots of meat protein and vegetables which of course is right up the griller's alley. On the other hand though sugar is a carb and definitely a no go for paleo eaters. Hence my dilemma - I love five sauce but I'm not allowed to eat it on the caveman diet. I decided to see if I could make a reasonable facsimile of it that would be friendlier to our diet. What I came up with (with my wife's help) is close to the mark. Of course five sauce has a ton of sugar in it so my first cut at it was to remove the sugar but my wife reminded me that the store bought ketchup is also full of added sugar (who knew) and was not allowed on our diet. Store bought paleo ketchup is very expensive so I decided to start farther back in the process and make paleo friendly ketchup. I found a recipe for that (I'd love to credit the source but I've lost it completely and can't relocate it) which appears below. The next step was to replace the brown sugar with a mixture of paleo friendlier ingredients. I decided to use Splenda, raw honey, and molasses. I know this means that Paleo Five Sauce will have seven ingredients but Seven Sauce just doesn't sound right Anyway this comes pretty close to the mark for us. I hope you enjoy it:

Paleo Ketchup:

Ingredients:

• 1 15 oz can Tomato Sauce (no spices added)
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste (no additives)
  • I Tbs ACV
  • 3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Allspice
  • 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
  • Salt to taste
  • Honey to taste

Procedure:

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan and whisk together over low/medium heat for about 10 minutes. Adjust salt and sweetness to taste.

Paleo Five Sauce:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Paleo Ketchup (recipe above)
  • 1/3 cup ACV
  • 1/3 cup Splenda
  • 2 Tbs Molasses
  • 1 Tbs Raw Honey
  • 1Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 Tbs of your favorite rub or BBQ Seasoning

Procedure:

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan and whisk together over low/medium heat until the desired consistency is achieved.

about using raw honey instead of sugar,, it's a good idea. BUT the U.S. can't produce enough raw honey (generally speaking) and so stuff from china is imported to suplement demand. Be careful as they may substitute corn syrup (bad):

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/how-to-use-raw-honey-in-place-of-sugar-in-baking/

American consumers buy about 400 million pounds of honey per year, but US producers only supply 150 million pounds. So foreign businesses, especially manufacturers in China, are selling honey cut with cheap sweeteners, sugar water or high-fructose corn syrup. Some of the honey also contains unauthorized antibiotics and pesticides.

Last edited:
Thanks Len - I will be on the lookout for that. We normally buy our honey from a local producer at the farmer's market so hopefully we are safe...

Regards,

John

John, thanks for the recipes! We're cutting back on carbs too. By the way, I think "Seven Sauce" sounds pretty cool!! :cool:

Back