A WSM Christmas in North Alabama

ChrisMoorer

The wife surprised me with the WSM 22.5, which didn’t exactly fit under the tree. I've been an offset smoker guy in the past but having been wanting the consistency and temp control of a WSM for some time now. First smoke was your standard drunken chicken using the Minion method, which I thought was pretty cool and the bird turned out delicious. Prior to the rub going on, I hit the chicken with some lemon zest (prolly about 1/4 of the lemon) and it turned out great, giving the chicken a subtle refreshing flavor on the back end of each bite.

You folks and this website are a great resource. Glad to be a part of the community.

The wife surprised me with the WSM 22.5, which didn’t exactly fit under the tree. I've been an offset smoker guy in the past but having been wanting the consistency and temp control of a WSM for some time now. First smoke was your standard drunken chicken using the Minion method, which I thought was pretty cool and the bird turned out delicious. Prior to the rub going on, I hit the chicken with some lemon zest (prolly about 1/4 of the lemon) and it turned out great, giving the chicken a subtle refreshing flavor on the back end of each bite.

You folks and this website are a great resource. Glad to be a part of the community.
Welcome Chris, congrats on your new WSM, you can't go wrong with the 22"

I too like the BCC in the smoker, but it took me awhile to figure out I needed to be approx. 300 degrees pit temp. I put half a lemon (sliced side up) in the hole on top of my chicken so that it:

1) Keeps the heat inside the body of the bird
2) Lemon juice dribbles down into the breast of the bird

Happy New Year

Yes, the higher temp crisps the skin. My problem was I was cooking around 250 and the skin wasn't so good, then I read here to bump up the therms, and I've never looked back. I don't put any water in my defuser, I just put a couple clay saucers in it, and foil the top to keep from making a mess

Back