Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Food Photography Tips and Techniques *****

Beautiful pictures Garth.

Great shots, Garth!
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

Any recommendations for a cheap point & shoot camera? All I have now is a pitiful flip-phone camera. I'm almost ashamed to use it.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Any recommendations for a cheap point & shoot camera? All I have now is a pitiful flip-phone camera. I'm almost ashamed to use it.
    Define "cheap", and also just general size. Small to fit in a pocket/purse, or something that will be around your neck or in a camera bag?

Garth.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    Define "cheap", and also just general size. Small to fit in a pocket/purse, or something that will be around your neck or in a camera bag?

Garth.
    A hundred dollars or less?

Not really concerned about size. I guess Craigslist would be a good source, but I've struck out so far. One seller near here tried to sell me a P&S camera that clearly was 10 years old, and tried to pass it off as almost new.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Probably the most bang for buck is gonna be a newer cell phone if your not attached to your old school flip phone.

You be surprised how good cell phone photography has gotten. It's pretty much why you don't see people with small cameras any more.

If you must get a camera then any Cannon point and shoot from Craiglist. Check reviews and model numbers on Amazon prior to contacting anybody to see how new/old the camera is. Sort the reviews by date.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

If you must get a camera then any Cannon point and shoot from Craiglist. Check reviews and model numbers on Amazon prior to contacting anybody to see how new/old the camera is. Sort the reviews by date.
    Be sure and check to see if the camera is in working order when you pick it up. I have a friend at work, her husband is a Constable. He bought a video camera from someone on CL. He picked it up in uniform, the guy had told him the batteries needed to be replaced. Guess what, more than the batteries needed replacement.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Blackstone 17, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Probably the most bang for buck is gonna be a newer cell phone if your not attached to your old school flip phone.

You be surprised how good cell phone photography has gotten. It's pretty much why you don't see people with small cameras any more.

I had seriously thought about buying one just for the camera option, although I doubt I'd use it for surfing the web. A PC and a laptop is all I can handle at the moment.

I used to own three Canon models, but neither of them completely satisfied me, so I returned them. Wished I'd kept one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    Be sure and check to see if the camera is in working order when you pick it up. I have a friend at work, her husband is a Constable. He bought a video camera from someone on CL. He picked it up in uniform, the guy had told him the batteries needed to be replaced. Guess what, more than the batteries needed replacement.

Ouch!
    Last edited by Rusty James; 07-07-2017 at 08:24 PM.

This was enjoyable to read. I rarely post in the Photo Gallery because my shots with my Weber items are horrible. I do my cooks under a patio deck, and I enclosed it with tarps of various colors of brown, silver, and green and my light comes from harsh LED flood lighting. After my day job, I'm a wedding photog and I have a mint invested in gear. I could retire one of the older bodies, designate a consumer-grade zoom, along with a couple older flashes and umbrellas but then again smoking and grilling is currently my only hobby--the only activity that I do on my own terms and time. And the thought of blending it with photography, even as I write this, turns me off lol.

TVWBB Pro
    Hrrrm. How have I missed this....

Full size: http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4/img_1369.jpg
    Album: http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4

Backstory and caveat: While that is my brisket, my kitchen, and camera, those are my hands, and thus, I did not take that picture. The fine gent who took it works magazine preproduction and knows his way around a camera and digital images. Intellectually, I did know that good food photography generally uses short lenses and close-up work, he was really right in there while he was snapping away.

Yes, cell phones have gotten good enough that the small form factor point and shoots are in real danger of just plain disappearing. However, as Garth points out (and I'm sure others have as well,) glass is at least as important as the imager. All other things being equal, personally, I'd suggest spending on better glass than a better imager.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910