Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: Food Photography Tips and Techniques *****

  1. #91
    TVWBB Guru James N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,325
    Beautiful pictures Garth.

  2. #92
    TVWBB Guru Rusty James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    2,402
    Great shots, Garth!
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

  3. #93
    TVWBB Guru Rusty James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    2,402
    Any recommendations for a cheap point & shoot camera? All I have now is a pitiful flip-phone camera. I'm almost ashamed to use it.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

  4. #94
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Any recommendations for a cheap point & shoot camera? All I have now is a pitiful flip-phone camera. I'm almost ashamed to use it.
    Define "cheap", and also just general size. Small to fit in a pocket/purse, or something that will be around your neck or in a camera bag?

    Garth.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

  5. #95
    TVWBB Guru Rusty James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    2,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    Define "cheap", and also just general size. Small to fit in a pocket/purse, or something that will be around your neck or in a camera bag?

    Garth.
    A hundred dollars or less?

    Not really concerned about size. I guess Craigslist would be a good source, but I've struck out so far. One seller near here tried to sell me a P&S camera that clearly was 10 years old, and tried to pass it off as almost new.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

  6. #96
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    315
    Probably the most bang for buck is gonna be a newer cell phone if your not attached to your old school flip phone.

    You be surprised how good cell phone photography has gotten. It's pretty much why you don't see people with small cameras any more.

    If you must get a camera then any Cannon point and shoot from Craiglist. Check reviews and model numbers on Amazon prior to contacting anybody to see how new/old the camera is. Sort the reviews by date.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

  7. #97
    TVWBB Gold Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    2,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    If you must get a camera then any Cannon point and shoot from Craiglist. Check reviews and model numbers on Amazon prior to contacting anybody to see how new/old the camera is. Sort the reviews by date.
    Be sure and check to see if the camera is in working order when you pick it up. I have a friend at work, her husband is a Constable. He bought a video camera from someone on CL. He picked it up in uniform, the guy had told him the batteries needed to be replaced. Guess what, more than the batteries needed replacement.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Blackstone 17, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

  8. #98
    TVWBB Guru Rusty James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    2,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth C View Post
    Probably the most bang for buck is gonna be a newer cell phone if your not attached to your old school flip phone.

    You be surprised how good cell phone photography has gotten. It's pretty much why you don't see people with small cameras any more.

    If you must get a camera then any Cannon point and shoot from Craiglist. Check reviews and model numbers on Amazon prior to contacting anybody to see how new/old the camera is. Sort the reviews by date.
    I had seriously thought about buying one just for the camera option, although I doubt I'd use it for surfing the web. A PC and a laptop is all I can handle at the moment.

    I used to own three Canon models, but neither of them completely satisfied me, so I returned them. Wished I'd kept one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    Be sure and check to see if the camera is in working order when you pick it up. I have a friend at work, her husband is a Constable. He bought a video camera from someone on CL. He picked it up in uniform, the guy had told him the batteries needed to be replaced. Guess what, more than the batteries needed replacement.

    Ouch!
    Last edited by Rusty James; 07-07-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

  9. #99
    TVWBB All-Star BFletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Preble CO. Ohio
    Posts
    1,414
    This was enjoyable to read. I rarely post in the Photo Gallery because my shots with my Weber items are horrible. I do my cooks under a patio deck, and I enclosed it with tarps of various colors of brown, silver, and green and my light comes from harsh LED flood lighting. After my day job, I'm a wedding photog and I have a mint invested in gear. I could retire one of the older bodies, designate a consumer-grade zoom, along with a couple older flashes and umbrellas but then again smoking and grilling is currently my only hobby--the only activity that I do on my own terms and time. And the thought of blending it with photography, even as I write this, turns me off lol.

  10. #100
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Southeastern MN
    Posts
    704
    Hrrrm. How have I missed this....



    Full size: http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4/img_1369.jpg
    Album: http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4

    Backstory and caveat: While that is my brisket, my kitchen, and camera, those are my hands, and thus, I did not take that picture. The fine gent who took it works magazine preproduction and knows his way around a camera and digital images. Intellectually, I did know that good food photography generally uses short lenses and close-up work, he was really right in there while he was snapping away.

    Yes, cell phones have gotten good enough that the small form factor point and shoots are in real danger of just plain disappearing. However, as Garth points out (and I'm sure others have as well,) glass is at least as important as the imager. All other things being equal, personally, I'd suggest spending on better glass than a better imager.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •