Q&A with Donna Fong, July 7-11

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that Donna Fong of Butcher's Daughter BBQ competition team will join us for a Q&A session on July 7-11, 2014.

Donna is an accomplished pitmaster living in Alameda, CA. She is active not only as a barbecue competitor but also as a KCBS Certified BBQ Judge, a KCBS Certified Table Captain, and with the educational arm of the California BBQ Association. I invited Donna to participate in this Q&A because she brings a unique perspective to competitive barbecue...as the daughter of a father who runs a butcher shop; as a one-woman team competing in a male-dominated sport; as a WSM owner and user in BBQ competitions; as a molecular biologist with a keen analytic mind; as a single mother; and as the fiance of the very successful barbecue competitor Harry Soo.

I think it's going to be an interesting week. I hope you'll post some interesting questions for Donna and take advantage of her willingness to join us!

The forum will open for questions on Saturday, July 5 and Donna will start answering questions on Monday, July 7.

As always, I ask that each question start as a new thread. It's too confusing to ask new or follow-up questions as part of an existing thread.

Best,
Chris

--

KCBS Team Bio

butchersdaughter_v3_5_zpsdfbddc99.jpg

BUTCHER'S DAUGHTER BBQ

Year Started: 2011
Members: DONNA FONG

Butcher's Daughter BBQ is a Grand Championship one-woman team, headed by Donna Fong, and based in Alameda, CA. As a CBJ since 2004, she combines her passion for BBQ with knowledge of slaughtering, butchering and meat processing into a unified culinary experience. Her father, Donald Fong, who has owned Don's Meats in Oakland, CA for forty years, continues to be a strong influence in how she approaches the fundamentals of meat. During her 2011 rookie year, Donna traveled to competitions and events in her Toyota Avalon, packing everything she needed to cook four meats, including her 18.5 inch WSM. By the end of her rookie year, all four meats were cooked on a single WSM. For 2011, Donna ranked 6th in the California 2011 TOY race, third in the California rookie race and second in the national Rancher's Reserve race. She was ranked 8th overall and 3rd in brisket in California for 2012. During "business hours", Donna supports her CBJ-turned-Pitmaster habit by working as a molecular biologist at a Bay Area biotech company. She is a single Mom of a 8 year old competitive Kid's Q'n daughter, and an avid Oakland Athletic's fan.

Hometown: Alameda
State: CA

Most wins in a year: 1

Biggest Wins: 2012 Bay Area BBQ Championship, Oakland, CA (36 teams)

Back