Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: INTRODUCING: the "Roto Damper"

Wow, this looks awesome and totally beats my current configuration (which involves just stuffing the blower into the intake vent on my kamado and using the slider to hold it in place )

I have a 3d printer at work -- are there openSCAD or STL files posted somewhere that I can use?

Thanks for all the great work!

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarom Bodell View Post
    At 400 degrees the plastic roto-damper will be a puddle before the zinc hits its melting point.
    Sure, but that is only applicable if you've got the roto-damper CLOSE to the intake vent - I'm using a standoff distance of about 6" because with no ceramic insulation on my metal smoker (and pre-roto-damper), I melted the mouth of my blower. That galvanized fitting extends INSIDE the pit a little ways - that's a huge temp differential from what you would see outside and even more a couple of inches away, so in at least my use case, that galvanized fitting would be exposed to a heck of a lot more heat than any of the plastic parts in the system. Not trying to tell anyone what to do or how to rig their system, but I wouldn't be comfortable w/ galvanized fittings inside my own stuff so I thought it was worth bringing up.

TVWBB Emerald Member
    I think were talking apples and oranges, metal smokers and a BGE or other kamado grills are different animals. Although I went with soldered copper for my grill plate on my FauxMado grill, I'm pretty sure the galvanized part would be fine, 'cause the copper don't get too hot. You definitely want to make sure the tube doesn't extend too far into the grill.

I think most people with metal type smokers are using a dog dish type of mount for their blower, I think the galvanized fitting would be fine on the dog dish as well... What do you think?

TVWBB Fan
    If you are worried about heat transferring from the intake vent fitting to the roto-damper use stainless steel. Stainless steel has low heat conductivity (around 16 as quoted here) where carbon steel is 43. Stainless steel will effectively stop heat transmission from the smoker to the roto-damper.

-- Mache

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mache View Post
    If you are worried about heat transferring from the intake vent fitting to the roto-damper use stainless steel. Stainless steel has low heat conductivity (around 16 as quoted here) where carbon steel is 43. Stainless steel will effectively stop heat transmission from the smoker to the roto-damper.

-- Mache
    Problem is... getting the parts in stainless. where? and at what cost?

I think at the cost of $1.07 it is worth a try to see if this conduit connector will hold up, on a kamado or a dog dish adapter I think it will....

TVWBB Fan
    I think most dog dishes are stainless. Most conduit is bendable steel or aluminum alloy (both good thermal conductors). There are a surprising selection of pipe fittings in stainless.

-- Mache

TVWBB Platinum Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    I was unaware of any dangers associated with using galvanized pipe. I'll have to let you know if I gain any sort of superpowers or maladies.

As far as thermal conductivity, stainless is great and all but as Ralph said, it doesn't tend to be stocked at the big box stores and if it were I bet it would cost $10, not 87 cents. I still need to do a high heat burn but I'm feeling pretty confident. With Ralph's replaceable cap design though, you're out less than $2 total if it doesn't work for you.

The only issue with the EMT part is that it has that set screw you have to leave in to keep it airtight-ish. I considered making a piece that goes inside the conduit, but I figured that would require me to glue it into the cap which seemed like

TVWBB Fan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

But you'll probably be fine.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    I think were talking apples and oranges, metal smokers and a BGE or other kamado grills are different animals. Although I went with soldered copper for my grill plate on my FauxMado grill, I'm pretty sure the galvanized part would be fine, 'cause the copper don't get too hot. You definitely want to make sure the tube doesn't extend too far into the grill.

I think most people with metal type smokers are using a dog dish type of mount for their blower, I think the galvanized fitting would be fine on the dog dish as well... What do you think?
    We might be talking apples vs oranges, but I don't have an orange so I can't comment on whether there is a risk when used on a kamado or other ceramic cooker. I have no data points for temperature in that area on those, but...
    I AM one of "most people" with a metal smoker in this case - I use a 1qt stainless dog bowl over the bottom vent on my metal smoker. I don't know what the melt point of the plastic used to make the standard digikey blower fan is, but I definitely exceeded that temperature in use with the dog-bowl when running the temps up for a sear. Getting local temperatures in excess of 400F seems very likely with my setup at least.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by M Miller View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

But you'll probably be fine.
    It's the fumes you are mostly worried about because they can cause a very serious inflammatory reaction in your lungs. It's probably not an issue for a small outdoor smoker unless you are sitting next to it all day, but then again, if you don't need to take the risk, why do it?

Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast