Carl in Portland

Carl Johnson

I stumbled into BBQ when my crazy Russian next store neighbor built his own smoker from a recycled 55 gallon drum. the smells that wafted over the fence were amazing. After many shots of vodka (he taught me a way to avoid hangovers...kind of) and several baby back ribs my fate was sealed.

I've been on a quest to build myself a low cost / quality smoker and found the mini wsm threads and videos on youtube. I'm hoping to fire up the mini this weekend once i figure out how to dial a consistent 225. I will post pics once i paint the tamale steamer pot tomorrow.

Look forward to learning all things BBQ from this community.

Carl

Welcome Carl....keep out of the rain buddy. Soon your neighbor will be smelling good Q from your side of the fence.

Welcome Carl! Since your Mini is very portable, you are close enough to ride out to Manzanita and set it up on the beach.
Time your que to be ready at dusk, and eat by the light of a bonfire on the sand. Take your crazy Russian neighbor along.
He will love it. Just don't let him drive.

Thanks for the welcome. The "Russian method" on the vodka shots involved avoiding the fumes and exhaling quickly after throwing down the shot. I was still a hurtin unit so I think there is more to it!

Any suggestions for the first smoke?

My Grandma lived in Manzanita and the place is amazing. I have an eerie feeling that I'll be spending a lot of time on this forum...

Welcome Carl, and don't trust those Russkies when it comes to drinking, I found out the hard way many years ago LOL

Thanks for the welcome. The "Russian method" on the vodka shots involved avoiding the fumes and exhaling quickly after throwing down the shot. I was still a hurtin unit so I think there is more to it!

I think this is one of those things that requires years of practice to get it right.

Carl - I just moved to Portland last June (2013) from Boise, Idaho, and I'm glad there's someone else on here from the greater Portland area. Welcome to the site!

Cheers!
Barret

Back