LinkMeter v10 Release

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Monsieur Basilic is proud to present his offspring: LinkMeter package release v10. "The one where the gang gets the alarm configuration ui"

What's New

Alarm Configuration UI
Finally turning HeaterMeter into a spam bot is a reality with easy configuration of SMS and email alarm notifications. For good measure, the ability to adjust the setpoint on alarm is also included. Your user scripts still run before the sms, email, or setpoint code runs. This means you can either prevent the automatic action entirely (`exit 1` from your script) or turn on and off part of the automatic action (`uci set linkmeter.alarms.sms${al_type}${al_probe}=0`). Note that the "Alarms" section of the regular "Configuration" page has been removed.

-- New parameters passed to alarm scripts.
-- $ip - 'Network Address' seen on HeaterMeter display
-- $al_prep - Preposition describing the alarm. High = "above", Low = "below"
-- Current list of all variables

Web Visible Changes
-- Allow changing of the setpoint from the light webui (/luci/lm/light) and auto refresh every 30 seconds if logged in, every 10 seconds if not logged in. The refresh is slower when logged in because it makes it almost impossible to change the setpoint on a mobile device before the 10 second refresh resets your change.

-- Larger finger-friendly login link on the homepage as well as links to Alarms and Archive.

-- Sysupgrade from URL. If your HeaterMeter has internet access, upgrading is as easy as pasting the URL of the update into the webui. You won't need to download the update, browse for the update file, upload the update file. v10 adds this, so don't expect to go into your v9 firmware UI and be confused why you can't do it yet.

-- Autobackup for upgrading users. The feature in v9 should work for those who upgraded to v9 (as opposed to a fresh install). Used to be, if you lost power during a cook, you'd lose your history as well because it is only stored in memory (unless you stash). Now, LinkMeter automatically keeps a backup every 5 minutes (if there's a pit probe) and will continue that database on power up. Note that the overall database is limited to 24 hours still. To start a new database use LinkMeter -> Archive -> Reset Database

HeaterMeter Firmware
-- Fan boost. When starting the blower (from 0% to on), run at 100% for 125ms to get the blower moving before lowering output to the intended amount. This more reliably starts the blower at lower output percentages. My blower now will turn on at 3% instead of the 15% it took prior to this change. "Min fan speed" can probably be lowered if you like.

-- Better IT+ RF reception by properly setting frequency and deviation for a better reception match, and lowering PLL bandwidth and using fine mode AFC to reduce noise and provide a finer lock.

-- Analog thermocouple support in both HeaterMeter and webui. Hardware is still up to you, but any mv/C is supported and any reference voltage.

-- On reaching temperature, only cut the integral sum, don't zero it. This should help with people whose HeaterMeters go into lid detect mode every time pit temperature is reached.

OpenWrt / Raspberry Pi
-- Latest Rasperry Pi bootloader. Supports Marvel 512MB Model B hardware.

-- Switch to SLUB memory allocator for minor performance increases.

-- Fewer debug log messages from the wifi spamming up the event log.

To Update
-- Download v10 .gz and flash it (still gzipped) using System -> Backup / Flash Firmware.
-- Wait for the system to reboot twice (takes about two minutes)
-- Update your HeaterMeter firmware from LinkMeter -> AVR Firmware -> Bundled

or download v10 .zip file for flashing with Win32DiskImager

Last edited:
Great work Bryan, I'm sure I'm not the only one here on the forum that appreciates your hard work on this project.

Bryan,
I just installed the update package, didn't get to the firmware because there is no Login or Configuration link on the bottom of the home page? My home page has changed back to the stock flames with blue overlay, so I don't think it should have anything to do with the editing I had done on my index.htm?

EDIT:

DOH! You moved them into the black bar at the bottom, NEVER MIND! LOL

Last edited:
I've got my HM completely updated now, all seems well...

I tried the light webpage, it will change the setpoint (from my pc) but when it is done it stays on the confirmation page:

User root setting 1 values...
sp to 85 = OK
Done!

... it doesn't go back to the home page after, Not sure if that is expected behavior or not?

I also tried it from my "clever" phone, it does the same thing but the setpoint is never actually changed. Not sure if this is an issue with my phone or the code, but I thought I would report it.

EDIT:

on my phone...

When I click the SETPOINT link it asks me to login, which I seem to do successfully because the editable setpoint field now appears. After changing the setpoint the confirmation pages shows the following instead of the "sp to" confirmation:

User root setting two values...
username to root = OK
password to **** = OK
Done!

Not sure if it is my phone or the page but I figured I should give you feedback.

Last edited:
Yeah it isn't designed to go back to the other page. The page you get to is just /lm/set so there's no bounce. Maybe next version!

I don't know what's up with the not setting though, it works for me on every device I've tried. They're all smartphones with at least Android 4.0 though.

"Setpoint" initially appears as a link, when I click it I am asked to log in. I enter my credentials and log in, the light page appears, this time with a data field for me to enter the Setpoint and a "Set" button. After I change the set point the data field shows the new setpoint, when I click "Set" it asks for login credentials again. After I enter credentials and hit "Login" I get the confirmation page about changing username and password as noted above. (instead of the "sp to" confirmation I would expect)

Oh that's odd. The clicking the "setpoint" link should take you to the login page, then back to the light page except with a data field. Clicking Set there should take you to the OK page directly. Not sure why your phone is sending you to the login page again. No cookies? Great steps-to-reproduce report, but I'm not sure what I can do to fix it or what is going wrong.

I'm dying to build a HeaterMeter but I'm trying to patiently wait for hardware version 4.1. Bryan do you mind updating us on the hardware timeline now that LinkMeter v10 is available? Can't wait to get started.

yes, it seems as though it is not staying logged in, no cookies I would guess.....
We'll work it out. I guess I can store the username/password in the form so every time you change the setpoint it would re-login. Next version!

@Jarom: Still hoping for by the end of the year but it is going to be close if it does happen. You gotta figure about 2 revisions at a month each due to turnaround time. Getting the alarm config done was really high priority for me, so hardware took the back seat to that. I'll probably switch gears now and see if I can get a first stab in the pipeline.

I'm dying to build a HeaterMeter but I'm trying to patiently wait for hardware version 4.1. Bryan do you mind updating us on the hardware timeline now that LinkMeter v10 is available? Can't wait to get started.

Jarom, just take the plunge and get started! You will still use the same blower, display, power supply, rPi etc on the new versions.... The HM board itself is only like $12 bucks, and most of the parts (resistors, caps, transistors etc) are really cheap so just double up on them when you order (the most costly parts in the setup are the blower, display, processor, power supply, rPi and SDcard that you can use on the old or new board)...

When the new board is released, then debugged, you can buy the new board and build up the new version. You can swap over the processor easy enough cause it's in a socket, you could probably move over the dc-to-dc regulator easy enough too (three solder joints) and build up the new board with the parts you doubled up on in the first order. I assume there will be some part changes/additions to the new board so you will probably have to place a parts order when you order the new board anyway, so you may just wait.... but point being, the HM circuit board and basic components aren't too costly, or wouldn't be enough to make me delay possibly 4 months or longer to get rolling with the project......

Last edited:
Bryan,

Thanks for the update, so far it's working great.

One oddity I've found while testing the alerts is that the "From:" address on the email alerts is showing up as "HeaterMeter <heatermeter@ip-address>" instead of the From address defined in the SMTP configuration page.

I just tried to test an alarm, didn't work so I've got some work to do on the smtp config I guess....but I wanted to mention...

After the failed attempt to send the email/sms, the "pit temp color" turned dark blue? Is this an indicator to let you know something went wrong with the alarm notification, or not expected behavior?

I'm not able to get SMS to work. Getting emails just fine. I'm on ATT and it appears you have the correct suffix for the number. I tried sending a text from my mail program and it works fine so it's not my phone. Thanks for the update! Dan

Also, not sure if it's related to the v10 upgrade or maybe my USB wifi adapter is just on its last legs, but I'm having to constantly power cycle the HM to get wireless back. The HM is currently about 20 feet away from the wireless router.

Guess I'll head over to fleabay and look for another adapter.

I'm not able to get SMS to work. Getting emails just fine. I'm on ATT and it appears you have the correct suffix for the number. I tried sending a text from my mail program and it works fine so it's not my phone. Thanks for the update! Dan

Do you have your SMTP gateway configured in the HM?

Do you have your SMTP gateway configured in the HM?

I am assuming it is configured correctly as I am getting emails from it. The SMS is a just an email sent to my phone number but maybe there is something wrong there. Dan

Last edited:
Thanks for all your hard work Bryan. The update went smooth here and I like the improvements.

Today I tried my first cook "in absentia". Woke up, started grill, put on pork, went to work, came home, ate pork. Very cool stuff.

I am assuming it is configured correctly as I am getting emails from it. The SMS is a just an email sent to my phone but maybe there is something wrong there
Check the System Log link. It may say why the email was not accepted.

The From address, I couldn't decide if I should use the generic MSMTP config or one specifically for HeaterMeter. You can edit it in /etc/config/linkmeter but I may just take it out.

The blue color is a bug caused by the daemon thinking the probe is still in alarm. I'll have to fix that, but for now you can reset it using the "Reboot AVR" link on the config page.

I'm successfully updated to v10 also. Noticed the hang on clearing the alarm and have the blue Pit Temp also. Will do the "Reboot AVR"

Both Text and Email notifications are working for me using Sprint and Gmail as the SMTP provider. I did have to use the Gmail TLS options/ports to get up and running.

5xwr.jpg

Back