Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Barrel Servo/Fan

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Peterson View Post
    Tom, do I need any other fasteners or parts to put this together? Heading to the hardware store and I don't want to have to go back again for some other parts.
    Just whatever you need to make your mount.

TVWBB Member
    Yeah, I need to find a 2" x 1" rectangle aluminum tube. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's had one. I should have had you sent me a few inches of what you probably have left over. Do you have the square tube screwed to the case? What size screws if so?
    Last edited by Joel Peterson; 12-18-2014 at 01:09 PM.

TVWBB Member
    http://www.metalsdepot.com/ has them, only $7.50 for a couple feet worth with *blech* $12 shipping. How thick do I want the wall to be at minimum?

TVWBB Pro
    You can screw it in with a 3mm or 1/8" screw. I tend to stick with 1/8" thick tube but you could probably get by with thinner if you can find it.

TVWBB Member
    https://www.onlinemetals.com/ was cheaper and gave me better shipping options. $12 total with shipping for a foot. The more you know!

confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kole View Post
    Pics

Barrel V2

Total newbie here. I have been reading this thread entirely. Not sure if I quite understand it. I am going to have a barrel V2 printed up. My question is what internal parts go inside the housing to have the capabilities to open and close it? Also which files would I need to print out the parts to accomplish this.

Thanks,
    Ramiro

TVWBB Pro
    Those pictures are for the barrel servo which is the first printed servo damper that I designed. It works as well or better than any other design I've seen but has the disadvantage that there are several areas for potential leaks depending on how good you are at 3d printing. The servo sits in a fitted slot next to an RJ45 or 11 jack that distributes the servo signals and fan control.

The next design I made was the offset rotary which you can also see in the first post of this thread. This is the design I currently use because it utilizes a smaller more powerful fan, greater cross section for airflow, and a continuous path from the valve to the smoker with no added areas for potential leaks. This is the most airtight servo design I could make and, as a bonus, significantly reduces the required skill of the 3d printer thus opening it up to more people. The servo and RJ45/11 sit in a separate compartment in the body and are covered by a snap on lid to protect from the elements because it always seems to rain when I get the chance to bbq.

The files for both of these designs are in the first post of this thread and can be printed without correction. Both versions require printing of 3 parts (body, valve, and cover). I hope this info helps.

The fan I purchased is the fan listed on the hardware list page. To use the offset rotary damper I will need a smaller fan you list?

TVWBB Pro
    Yes. The offset requires a smaller fan. The barrel works with the stock fan.

TVWBB Member
    Hi Tom, first of all let me thank you for providing a fantastic design for the damper. I just finished printing my RSD-BGE with Ultimaker 2, and it looks awesome.

I tried to import your .dwg file to SolidWorks, but that didn't work too well. I also tried to edit the design with Inventor, but my Autodesk skills are nonexistent, and I wasn't able to change the dimensions of existing holes. It's probably just my laking skills, but I was wondering if it would be possible for you to make an export from your CAD to a format that might be better suited for SolidWorks.

My goal is to edit the damper to be a better fit for Europeans; e.g. 1x2" opening to 25x50mm, size the RJ11 hole to fit something more easily available from EU stores than the HomeDepot jack and so on.

Cheers,
    Antti
    Two Large BGEs (2014, 2015), HeaterMeter 4.2.4, Weber 22.5" Performer Charcoal Grill with Propane Gas Ignition (2004), Weber Q (2004)

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast