Reverse Sear Tri Tip

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
I belong to a group that is feeding some homeless men tonight and I was charged with providing lunch meat since we also prepare sandwiches for them for the next day. Rather than just buying something, I thought it might be nice to cook a couple of tri tips, chill them overnight in the fridge and slice them today.

The reverse sear was in the oven set to 250F and they took almost 2 hours before hitting 129/130 when I pulled them off. I filled a chimney of KB red and created a pretty hot zone on one side of the OTP. Seared each roast for about 2 minutes per side and let them rest where they came up to about 138F; perfect medium rare. Thought I'd share a few pics.

Bought these from Costco; excellent choice grade
kl5b.jpg

After some basic seasoning....
do7u.jpg

Just out of the oven
b2v9.jpg

The sear
u18y.jpg

Right at my target temp
nrj5.jpg

Dinner portion last night while still warm
7wbr.jpg

Now cold and slicing for sandwiches
71ez.jpg

Yes.... that's from the probe!
70hr.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

God bless you for helping the homeless. They will love the sandwiches. Nice job.

Awesome looking Tri tips Pete! And I agree with everyone else you are a good man
for helping feed the homeless!

Great job Pete. I really like the marbling on the Tri Tip. What also caught my eye was the great knife work.

Yes well done, but I have to be the first one to say: In the OVEN? No smoke? What is this world coming to?...Really though good job. I haven't done a tri tip yet, lookin forward to it.
Must of been a good day to be homeless.

Last edited:

Back