Poking Flank Steak

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
Does poking flank steak with a fork for the purpose of marinading have an adverse effect on its possible tenderness? About any flank steak recipe I see says to poke it, but I thought I read somewhere that doing so actually hurts the tenderness.

Then again, I very well may be mis-remembering things, seeing as I can't even recall the original source for what I think I read...

I just to poke it but then compared to non poking it was very similar in flavor. Cut againts the grain and it will be good.

Whenever I marinade flank steak I just throw it in the bag with the marinade and turn it every now and then. How about doing two: one with poking and one without to determine best results.

Last edited:
That comparison idea is a good one-- I poked the one I'll be grilling tomorrow. Next one will remain un-poked. I'll also have to take some time to see if I can Google-search my way to the thing I think I read that mentioned something about flank steak and things that have negative impacts on tenderness.

The used to score flank steak to hold the marinade. Why not just inject the marinade?

Been marinating flank steaks since 1961 and I have never "poked" one. IMO it would release some of the juices.
Ray

The used to score flank steak to hold the marinade. Why not just inject the marinade?

It's a good idea for future use. I'd need to get my hands on something to use for injecting, first though.

The flank steak has been marinading all night long. I followed the recipe found in this post. This was my first time making my own BBQ sauce, so I'm quite eager to see how it turns out. I'll try to get some pics tonight when I get home from work and fire up the grill.

Kevin, that Jaccard "tenderizer" will poke so many holes that no matter how tender the steak is, it just gave the juices so many escape routes that you will have ruined the steak.
Not a good idea at all. Spend your money on good meat, you will be better served that way.
It would help to tenderize the meat while also helping the marinade process. That is the purpose of meat tenderizer shown in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6

(Chris, I do not know how to link it so you get credit)

And I completely forgot to take photos of the cook. Got started on preparing things and before I knew it I was done. As I was slicing the meat up I thought to myself, "I was going to take some pics!"

Anyway, it turned out quite well. Really like that recipe for a marinade. It wasn't bad when turned into BBQ sauce, but I think the cinnamon was a bit too strong. Flank steak seemed to be one of the more tender ones I've done (I've done London Broil on my gasser two or three times)-- I did poke it with a fork maybe a dozen times or so per side.

And I completely forgot to take photos of the cook. Got started on preparing things and before I knew it I was done. As I was slicing the meat up I thought to myself, "I was going to take some pics!"

Been there done that. I did a rib cook Fri and was eating ribs when i looked at the camera and just laughed. Glad it turned out well.

Back