Completed first BBQ Competition

Rich Paq

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone. I completed my first competition last weekend. It was the 2nd annual Pig in the Park in Whitewater WI. Out of 29 teams, my team came in last, but my chicken placed 12th so I was happy about that. The rest of the meats were cooked by my other teammates using their recipes. They did not score that well. Pork 29th, Ribs 28th, Brisket 21st. We obviously got some work to do. Here are some pics (hopefully. First time posting pics)

Here's how I got my smokers there.

Here is the Chicken turn in box.

Here is the Pork box.

And the brisket.

I forgot to take a photo of the ribs. Overall it was fun except for the rain that started about 2am and ended about 9am. Id like to give a shout out to the "Risky Brisket" team who offered to let me use their Thermopen when they heard I forgot to bring mine.

A few goobers on the brisket may have cost you some appearance points but those are some VERY nice looking boxes. Your chicken especially looks phenomenal and I can see why you scored so high there.

I like your transport mode, too.

You might consider posting your pix on the BBQ Critics site so you can get feedback from judges around the country. They offer some good tips and pointers you might not have considered.

I'll agree with Dwain, on all accounts.

In the pork entry, the first slice also looks to have 'something' exceeding the 1/8x1/8 rule. Also looks maybe a little overcooked.
For the brisket, knife skills probably didn't help along with the fat layer at the bottom.

Bottom Line... You did well for your first competition! Heck, would it be 'fun' if you didn't have room for growth ?

Bob B.

(see you over on the BBQ Critc site...)

Last edited:
From the 2013 KCBS Rules and Regulations :

13) Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, approximately 1/8 inch cubed. Sauce violations shall receive a score of one (1) on Appearance.

Bob

Chicken has great color. Congrats on that. I'm sure that was enough to make you want to do it again

Congrats on your first comp. Chix looks fantastic, I love the glaze on it. From here you have nowhere to go but up to the top.
Best of luck- you are doing great.

Peter

That is a very nice first run!

If you're looking for a couple ideas (and I'm being extremely picky here):

I don't do greens but I've heard that judges like those greens to look like a golf course.

Chicken and Pork boxes both have some smudges around the outside of the box. Get a cup of water and a small paint brush, dip the brush in the water and wipe out any smudges. Make that the very last thing you do before closing the box. I know some judges that are fanatical about the box edges being absolutely spotless.

Chicken. Work on your trimming to get the pieces as uniform in shape as possible. Compare the top right piece versus the lower left. Excellent gloss. Be careful not to put too much sauce on the chicken. It turns into a mess for the judges. Also, try adding very small flakes of oregano (or some other spice that won't affect flavor very much but is just big enough to see, not black pepper!) to your sauce. It will be visible in the sauce and adds a small bit of depth. It's just a visual trick. I see the front piece has a little bit in it.

Pork. I don't see very much wrong there. The box is laid out nicely. Possibly make the medallion slices a bit thinner? The judges might think you're trying to hide overcooked meat by slicing wider (that's just my guess). I've heard that judges are getting tired of the look of pulled pork, however I know this judge still likes it! You've got six slices in the box. Never put exactly enough of anything in the box (6). Always pack enough so that the last judge gets to choose between 2 or 3 pieces. I know it sounds crazy but getting stuck with the last piece can sour a judges opinion.

Brisket. The left side pieces look pretty darn good. Nicely uniform. The third one from the top has something on it. The right side ones should be just as uniform. The slices need to have that bottom fat layer removed. There are seven slices, I usually put 10 or 12 slices in the box (same idea as the pork slices above). The middle slice has some pretty heavy 'saw' marks on it. Work on making the entire slice in one pull witha razor sharp knife. Maybe add tiny little bit of a sauce to the slices if for no other reason than to add some color and a gloss. I've had good luck with dipping each slice in a very thin sauce and letting the majority drain off before putting it in the box.

Again, I'm being VERY picky here and I think you guys did a very respectable job. My comments above are completely intended to help, not bash.

Russ

Thanks for everyone's replies. I appreciate any and all advice. As far as MikeD125's question, that transport set up worked great. I wrap each piece of the smoker in that stretchy plastic wrap used for wrapping items for moving. After the smoker is wrapped I'm able to lift the whole thing off the ground by the lid handle. I then use duct tape to tape down the end of the wrap. Its kind of a redundancy thing as the straps hold everything down. It also keeps the side door firmly on.

I agree with all the above but also mention that appearance is the least factor in the overall score... there had to be either or both issues with taste and texture/tendernes to also impact the low scores.

Back