Grilled Catfish Filets request

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
Looked around but didn't see much on this. Any suggestions?

Was thinking EVOO and Tony C's over lump on the kettle for a few minutes.

Sure. Why not. I'd likely use clarified butter instead of evoo - or would make a butter-based lemon vinaigrette to drizzle on before serving.

Oil the grate very well - or use a well-oiled grill basket.

Where are you in Miss?

Love catfish... grilled is good but my preference is full on contact with a hot skillet or griddle! Love that blackened catfish! The clarified butter has a higher smoke point but canola or peanut oil (if you like the flavor) would work... The lemon doesn't have to be a strong element but (IMO) a little citrus action is mandatory. Lime? Orange?

Just wondered. Will be at the Tupelo Film Festival in a bit more than a couple weeks.

Clarified butter is unsalted butter from which the milk solids are removed. This is achieved by melting the butter gently then pouring off the clear liquid, discarding the solids in the pot. Because of the lack of milk solids the resulting clear liquid, the clarified butter, has a higher burn point. It's the standard sauté and grill fat in many restaurant kitchens.

Then I'd consider a simple herb vinaigrette with white balsamic, red balsamic or a good white wine vin. Just enough for a drizzle. (A little finely minced cooked bacon could be added to the mix.)

Kevin, just wondering what your looking for from the bacon in the vinaigrette? The catfish is so (IMO) subtle in flavor that the bacon would dominate... Yes/No?

I'm looking for meaty, smoky notes. About 1 or 2 tsp, finely minced, per quarter cup vinaigrette.

I find it far less dominating than the blackened seasonings on blackened fish, done correctly. But I love blackened fish, and don't find blackening to be dominating to a negative degree.

Thanks for the info, I don't have any unsalted butter but I'm gonna try with reg butter and tony's in a ci skillet in about 20 minutes.

I will post the results in the grilling section later!

Man, you guy's are killing me on the knowledge! Wish I knew more of the details and why!

Thanks so much!

Jim,
There is a piece of metal with small holes in it under your chimney starter. Does it stay in the grill under the charcoal to keep the small pieces from falling through?
Do you get enough airflow using that?

Charles, it's a piece of perforated stainless steel i found in the scrap bin in this factory so i took it home knowing i'd find a use for it.
And i use it for exactly the purpose of keeping small chunks of lump from falling thru... i really only use it when "wokin" and i do not seem to have a problem with airflow thru it.
it works well for me.
Thanks for asking
icon_biggrin.gif

Back