Two more bacon questions

K. Smith

TVWBB Member
I'm going to smoke mine this afternoon and I have two questions:

1. Smoke fat side up or fat side down--I didn't see a good answer in the posts I reviewed. I won't be using water and have foiled the pan.

2. I don't have fire bricks, but thought of using the grill inserts from our Weber charcoal grill to contain the coals since I don't want to fill up the bottom with coals. Will that work okay for maintaining a temp from 150-200?

Thanks!

Either will do, though I'd go fat side down, personally. I often use a rib rack if my pieces will fit in one. You can also flip the bacon over half way through. Do you have a thermometer with a probe so you can check the temperature at grill height (or at the dome)? I use a Smokenator with my Weber 22.5 grill, but you could use a charcoal basket on one side and some aluminum foil, then just check your charcoal every 45 minutes or watch your thermometer if you have a probe to monitor the grills temperature. I'm doing 8 kilo of bacon in two batches on my Weber as I type this.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll be using the Weber Smoker, but thought I'd borrow the inserts from the grill. There's a dome thermometer and I have both a Polder and handheld to check the bacon temp.

I like the idea of flipping the bacon.

Keeping a low, under 200 degree, temp will be your biggest challenge.
The snake method works pretty well.
Add 1 or 2 lit at the end, and use more smoke wood than in my photo.
IMGP2515.JPG

Back