Looking for that Franklin "candied, gooey, caramel-ly, non-burnt" brisket

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Been watching the Aaron Franklin YouTube videos. Extremely well done. My takeaway is a lot of my brisket has had far too much black, hard bark. (Rub? Heat? Not wrapping? etc.) I'm very intrigued by the almost gooey exterior his briskets seem to have.

So, for my next attempt:

1. Choice or Prime
2. Oak only (a preference, not a prerequisite)
3. Salt & pepper
4. Much less wood
5. Don't fret too much on heat--targeting 250 lid
6. TRIM--much heavier than I'm used to, including going after the fat deckle aggressively
7. Wrap in unwaxed butcher paper at stall
8. Not separate point & flat after cooking; use "Texas Turn" instead (90 degree twist once I cut to the point) and slice point/flat together

After watching the Franklin videos several times I took away from it that he does not make it a practice to wrap but does so only when he feels it necessary.

After watching the Franklin videos several times I took away from it that he does not make it a practice to wrap but does so only when he feels it necessary.

Well, I guess you can take that away from it. All I know is that I can get great brisket bark cooking on the wsm (unwrapped) as long as I cook no higher than about 250*. At least I have with water in the pan. However, I'm a fan of more moderate temps for brisket, so I'll be wrapping for sure from now on. Regarding A. Franklin though, he was cooking at 250* on a small offset and wrapped. And he supposedly cooks up to 300* on his big pits, and offsets have a lot more airflow than the wsm...

Back