The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14+# brisket on a 18.5 WSM

14+# brisket on a 18.5 WSM

I had one hellava time finding a full brisket. Nobody carries them. All everyone around here had was flats. And even a few places told me they were full.
    I finally located some but once I got there the smallest they had was one just over 14lbs.
    After reading I found out I could squeeze it into my 18.5 by taking can or brick foiled and placing it in the middle of the brisket and then foiling the ends that may extend over the edges to keep it from charring until it shrinks to fit.
    My question is I have never done a full only flats and much smaller. I would like to eat somewhere around 3-4pm. Cooking at 225-250 when would you guys recommend to start my smoke. I was leaning towards 10 or 11 Saturday night.this should give me an easy 14-15 hour window and allow time for resting. Am I cutting it too close? Should I start maybe 8-9 pm on Saturday night?

Thanks and I"ll hang up and listen.

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    At those low temps I'd give it more like 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb. 1.5 hrs = 7 PM Sat. 2 hrs = Noon Sat. I'd start the chimney 1 hour prior to "meat on" to give 30 min for the chimney to start and 30 min to get the ring engaged, put back together, meat on, probes set, etc. ...but I take my time when doing this stuff. I'm sure others will have different ideas. Good luck
    ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

I did a 13lb on my 18.5 two weeks ago and yes get something under the centre of it. I used a stainless cylinder I had but lots of things will work. You don't need much foil if you tuck the brisket ends between the grill handles. I agree with Dwayne, more like the hour and a half per pound depending on what you are you doing with the Point? They take additional time to render out. Worse case after the Flat is done hold it in a cooler while you continue with the Point.
    There's no such thing as a bad cook if you learn something from it.
    26.75 Custom Kettle, SS rotisserie, WSM, BSK, Maverick 732, Laser, Thermapen,

Wow, You guys really think its gonna run closer to the 1.5 to 2 hours as apposed to the 1 hr 1.25 hours huh? Ive never run my wsm that long. Is a full chimney of unlit and a full lit last that long?
    I planned on cooking them together throughout the entire cook and resting for a few hours and then doing some sausage as well.

I do HH brisket, 325F for 6 hours.
    http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?28113

I separate the flat and point before the cook. You put the point on the lower rack and the flat on the top. Though I did that cook in a 22 1/12" WSM, a half size aluminum pan fits in an 18 1/2" WSM.

Good luck.

Bob
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - B Franklin
    | 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSM | 22 1/2" and 26 3/4" OTG | Genesis S-330 |

Bob,

HH is how I have done my previous flat briskets. I wanted to give low and slow and go this time to see which way I liked better.

I firmly believe there is more smoke flavor doing it LNS. This year I have cooked seven briskets. Three LNS and four HH. The HH is way more convenient but I liked the bark and the flavor of the LNS better. I have separated the point as Bob mentions but either way...the flat still takes what it takes and then you have to add at least two more hours for the point. I cook with lump and have my own charcoal basket which I fill and pack tight. I like the clay saucer and I run my smoker 20-30 minutes before I add the cold brisket. There are many different methods and I see many of us have our own preferences. I think an hour and a half all in is plenty of time but there can always be delays.
    There's no such thing as a bad cook if you learn something from it.
    26.75 Custom Kettle, SS rotisserie, WSM, BSK, Maverick 732, Laser, Thermapen,

Always cook to temp, not time. I know this doesn't give you any idea of time but it's the only way to make sure your meat is done. I would suggest that you start early and then wrap the brisket in foil tightly and then in a couple of big old towels. Place it in a clean empty cooler and close the lid tight. The internal temp will drop slightly but it will be good and hot when you're ready.

Or you can cook hot and fast. Either method is going to give you tasty brisket.
    Mike Brown Bark Shark BBQ KCBS Comp Team
    2xWSM 18.5"|2xWSM 22.5"|Performer|18.5" Black Kettle

Gary,

On previous briskets I've used water in the pan.But My WSM was new and not seasoned yet and ran pretty hot.I had a lot of trouble getting it under 300 for the first few cooks. Now that I have 10+ cooks in it is much easier to find 225-250 quickly.The last 5 have been either chicken or turkey with no water and it was pretty tough staying over 350 with all vents open and the door cracked as well.
    I was thinking of not using the water pan just foil both it and my clay saucer. But with low and slow do i need to worry about drying out without water if its in there for 18 hours or more?

TVWBB Pro
    I did a 12lb and a 19lb(both weights prior to trimming) 2 weeks ago. Cooked at 250, wrapped in butcher paper after 6 hours and the small one finished in 8-9 hours and the big one in 10 hours. You results may vary. Each brisket is different and these were CAB. I think they tend to finish faster. Much more internal fat.

Cook till probe tender and jiggle like jello. Use temp for a guide. Some finish at 190-200 others may take 205. Keep in mind that if you don't vent the heat before resting it will continue to cook and may overcook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast