Sausage making

Mike Stevenson

TVWBB Super Fan
I went over to my friend brian's house yesterday and we made 4 different recipes for Sausage. It was the first time for me and I learned a lot. We ended up with about 18 pounds of product.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

We made a couple recipes from Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue book, 5 pounds of Andouille (with Simply Marvelous Season-All,) 4 pounds of Mexican Hot Mama, and 5 pounds of the Sweet Italian. We also made the Jalapeño/Cheddar links from Dr. BBQ's Big Time cookbook.

I made sausage yesterday also. I used a few recipes offline then I opened Paul Kirks book which I got for Christmas. I didnt know there where so many recipes in that book. Please let me know which ones you liked. I have a Kitchenaid Mixer how did the grinder atteachment work?

Definitely liked the Jalapeño/Cheddar links from Dr. BBQ's Big Time cookbook the best.

The grinder attachment works like a dream!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Stevenson:

The grinder attachment works like a dream! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that. I made 7 pounds of breakfast sausage and 7 pounds of sweet Italian last weekend, and the Kitchenaid grinder did a great job. Now, if I only had one of those nice Enterprise stuffers...
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now, if I only had one of those nice Enterprise stuffers... Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

read this tread:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...50071165/m/342105993

a fellow board member mentioned to me that he has an extra enterprise. If you're serious, you should see if you can contact him.

Great looking sausage. I gotta clear up some time to make a batch this weekend. I like the jalapeno cheddar idea. Haven't tried that yet.

Great looking snausage! Making sausage is one of my most favorite things to do. I too use the kitchen-aid grinder, and the sausage stuffer. Your stuff looks awesome though, the kitchen aid one is SLOWWWWWW.

Hey Larry D, any chance on sharing that breakfast sausage recipe? I've got that on my radar for my next sausage adventure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
Hey Larry D, any chance on sharing that breakfast sausage recipe? I've got that on my radar for my next sausage adventure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is the one I used. I omitted the cloves, however. To give credit where credit is due, here's where I got the recipe: http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/v...opic.php?f=45&t=7917

Breakfast Sausage

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch ground cloves
2 pounds ground pork

DIRECTIONS
In a small, bowl; combine the sage, salt, ground black pepper, marjoram, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and cloves. Mix well.
Place the pork in a large bowl and add the mixed spices to it. Mix well with your hands and form into patties.

I didn't mix it the way this says, however. I cut the pork into cubes (about the size you'd cut beef for stew), and mixed the spices with it, then let it rest in the refrigerator for about an hour. Then, I ground it. We fried a test patty before packaging the sausage, to be sure the spice level was okay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Stevenson:
gotpics.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't take any, Mike, if that's aimed at me.
icon_frown.gif

Anyway, since I didn't stuff the sausage into casings (I just made 1-pound rolls wrapped in plastic wrap and vacuum sealed), they wouldn't have been very interesting. I had some of the breakfast sausage this morning (with waffles), and while it was good, it wasn't quite what I was looking for. So now I guess I'll have to start experimenting with the spice mixture - I hope somebody puts pork butts on sale soon.

The pics make me want to try my hand at sausage making again. Although, I'd need to pick up a better stuffer before doing so. The low-end model I have was a pain to use.

Back