Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast iron skillet recommendations

TVWBB Member
    As with most things, choosing what cast iron cookware to buy depends on what you plan to do with it. For example, if you are unfortunate like me and have an electric glass top stove (no natural gas where I live), then you want something that is light weight with a flat bottom (no "heat-ring").

Vintage Griswold and Wagner pieces are typically more desirable for their smooth cooking surface and relatively light weight. However, these are not the best choices for use on a charcoal grill because they are susceptible to cracking and warping.

For the grill or gas stove, modern Lodge is a good but vintage Lodge is better. I see very nice "3 Notch" #8 skillets all the time at thrift stores and antique malls at reasonable prices (< $30). These have the smooth as glass cooking surface that distinguishes "the good stuff" and they are tough. BSR is also a great manufacturer to look for.

I have found that size matters on the grill, as in it's much easier to flip whatever I'm cooking (on the grill) in a larger skillet than a smaller one. I have a #10 Wagner that I use just on the grill. The size is right but it's already warped to the point that it spins & rocks on the stove top.

Flat-bottomed cast iron kettles make fantastic bean pots on the grill or in the smoker. Dutch ovens, griddles and various cast iron pots make great grilling accessories. Once you start looking for the stuff, it's amazing what you can find.

Here are some useful links:

My Finex cast iron just delivered today!
    ~Mike~

TVWBB Super Fan
    Very nice Finex. Just got my Stargazer and it's so weird in color. after 3 coats of seasoning it's not even close to being black. not gonna let it cook eggs until 2 more coats. Will see if it gets darker. All my other cast iron stuff is newer cheap lodge. Can't find anything wrong with lodge stuff, just wanted something different and bigger and lighter for eggs.

Last edited by Garth C; 10-25-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Those stargazers look awesome. It's just a little weird that something you think of as old fashioned like a cast iron skillet is named "Stargazer". I bet it darkens up over time, although that inner surface is really smooth!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    Those stargazers look awesome. It's just a little weird that something you think of as old fashioned like a cast iron skillet is named "Stargazer". <snip>
    I dunno, Dustin, I bet there's been a lot of stargazing done while cooking in cast iron over the last 2000 years

I remember watching the stars around a campfire with my friends at the lake, we were waiting for my DO chicken & potatoes to finish in my first dutch oven, trying to imitate meals I'd been served by family/family friends.

The more I think of it, the more fitting the name Stargazer becomes!

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I dunno, Dustin, I bet there's been a lot of stargazing done while cooking in cast iron over the last 2000 years

I remember watching the stars around a campfire with my friends at the lake, we were waiting for my DO chicken & potatoes to finish in my first dutch oven, trying to imitate meals I'd been served by family/family friends.

The more I think of it, the more fitting the name Stargazer becomes!
    You've sold me on it!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Member
    My daily CI is a Wagner skillet and a Wagner Dutch Oven from the 1950s. I find it is much smoother and lighter than the heavy and rough texture finish on the current Lodge products.
    22.5 OTG , Genesis EP-330 with rotisserie, Jumbo Joe

TVWBB All-Star
    Kinda off subject but...... ive been a avid cast iron user for many many years. Ive recently just discovered carbon steel pans and I have fallen in love all over again !!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123