Strip Loin with Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
My wife was going through a few of our many cookbooks, looking for some inspiration for a family dinner for 10. She like the idea of making our own Montreal steak seasoning, following the recipe out of "Joe Beef."

I can't say that I'm a huge MSS fan, nor had I ever thought I'd make, nor would it ever be made this way. I started by mixing minced onion, garlic, rosemary, salt, sugar, and chile and roasting it at 200*, off and on, for several hours until it dried (or got sort of dried in my case).
IMG_7255.JPG

The oven dried stuff gets ground with coriander, black pepper, and dill seed. It was tough to grind and was pretty gummy. I packed it, best I could, on to a 6 lb hunk of strip loin. It stuck well to the lean side, but was tough to keep on the fat cap.
IMG_7258.JPG

I vac packed the roast (hoping some compression might help it adhere) and dropped into my sv rig and it ran at 130* for 4 hours. I flipped it on the grill and seared it. Like I suspected, I lost most of the seasoning on the fat side but kept most on the lean side.
IMG_7264.JPG

I little sliced pic. SV roast beef is one of the coolest applications for this method. My MIL, who's seen me do it a few times now, said meat done this way "kicks ***."
IMG_7270.JPG

we served the steak with "Gentleman's Steak Sauce" which was another recipe out of Joe Beef. Both the recipe for the MSS and the sauce were great. I'm going to make another batch of the sauce tomorrow with a few mods and will serve brisket with it.

We happened upon some Chantenay carrots at a local market and roasted them with some honey and served them with the beef. The general consensus was that they were too good to be called carrots.
IMG_7268.JPG

I'll throw in a pic of an app because it was simply awesome. This recipe came from Chris Constantino's book "My Beginnings." It's toast brushed with duck fat, aromatic bean puree, duck confit, and pickled onions. It might be the best thing I've tasted in some time.
IMG_7259.JPG

thanks for looking, and I'm happy to field any questions

Another awesome cook. The even doneness when you SV beef roasts boggles my mind every time. Glad to learn what that mysterious FB pic turned out to be, too.

Thank you for this one. The meal looks wonderful, the photos are excellent and the post is very informative. I learned a lot form this.

Back