Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KCBS banned tenderloin

Soooooooooo, does one leave all of the brown sugar on the loin when placed on the smoker? Seems like it would be candied loin with a big coating of sugar? Or does one shake off the sugar so that it more like a rub on the loin?
    Weber Special Edition Genesis, Weber Q, Weber 22.5 WSM and One Touch Platinum.

Tried this today. First off, when I made the rub I was somewhat surprised at the simple rub and thought not much to that. Wrapped in bacon and then coated with brown sugar and put in the fridge for 24 or so. Slapped her on the smoker with the cherry wood in the 250 range and several hours later hit the 250 and applied a glaze for the last little bit as I prefer glazing on the fire. Let her set for about 10 minutes and sliced it up. It was very tender, but isn't all pork tenderloin? Three of us ate it, wife and one child who came over to join us. General opinion was good, but nothing to rave about. I give it a 7 on the 1-10 scale. Most of the flavor came from the sauce and not the cooking, smoke or the rub. I put it in my never do again category. I only hope the pig team did it better, how I do not know, as if this dish is banned, then I need to enter the competition cooking world.....................
    Weber Special Edition Genesis, Weber Q, Weber 22.5 WSM and One Touch Platinum.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quintal View Post
    This sounds great, as a newbie to all this, approximately how long for the pork to get to 155 degrees so I'm not opening the smoker too frequently?
    This is where a good thermometer purchase like the Maverick- ET-732 earns its keep.

TVWBB Fan
    Oh God, I just realized I answered a necropost.

Same cut on pig as Filet on beef

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Necropost. Gotta love it
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I realize this is a necro post from almost a year ago's necro, but I made this recipe over the weekend and it was fantastic. I didn't have time to let it sit overnight so both were packed in about a half bag of light brown sugar for about 6 hours. After that I cooked at about 275-300 (I messed up lighting too many coals and couldn't get the temp back down), but it cooked in a couple hours and came out wonderfully. I unwrapped the bacon and put it onto a foil-lined pan and cooked in the oven at 400F for about 20 minutes to get it crisped up and turned it once. The bacon was like candy and having bites of that with the pork was delicious.

I gave this a try yesterday. I thought maybe the guy that said he would probably not try this again didn't like it because he said he took it off when it hit 250. I bet that was probably a typo though.
    It came out pretty good. But i agree something is definitely missing as far as being so good the American Royal would ban it. I took it off my WSM right when it hit 155. Only took a couple hours. In my opinion,it's a huge waste of brown sugar. While I use foil in my dry water pan,there is always a seam. That brown sugar got through the seam and stuck to my water pan like melted plastic,and oven cleaner isn't even taking it off. When the tenderloin starts warming up,all that brown sugar just starts melting off. I was afraid it would be too sweet following the directions,but the brown sugar taste is not that strong. It could use more.
    I am not going to say I won't do it again. If I do,i will probably put pineapple under the bacon wrap. I sure wont let it sit overnight caked in brown sugar. What I might do is pull it off at say 120,and wrap it in foil,then adding brown sugar.
    It is kind of a lot of work wrapping the tenderloin in bacon,and pineapple would add more work. The bacon sure is good though. It certainly is a candidate,if you want to do something quick. I cooked at 250,and took it off at 155,and it only took a couple hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12