Roadside Chicken

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this. I've been making this for about 15 years now and it's pretty darn good. :D

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

I can vouch for this recipe ~ It's goooo-Ooood!
icon_cool.gif

I was thinking of trying the Roadside Chicken recipe on a whole chicken cooked in the WSM at about 350 with a foiled pan (cherry smoke wood).

I was gonna also use the "Beer Butt" method to ensure moistness. Any tips or adivice? Think it'll be good?

I don't know about whole chicken, butt, Chiavettas here in WNY has a similar marinade/baste and they cook pieces, quarters and halves over direct coals. Never seen whole chickens. It, as well as Bryan's recipe is very flammable and needs constant attention. You can try it indirect but I think it's much mo' better when you're chasing the flames direct. BTW, I think Bryan's recipe is better than Chiavettas
icon_wink.gif

Rita, I think a quick brine would be fine. Isn't the main purpose of the brine to ensure that moisture stays in the meat? Cooks Illustrated recommends 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar and a quart of water with a 30 minute marinade for chicken breasts. However, I've also seen them recommend 1/2 cup of both ingredients in different publications. The main thing is not to marinade them too long in this brine since the salt and sugar content are so high.

Thanks, Ron. It's hard to pin Cook's Illustrated down on their brines. I've been collecting their brine proportions for several years and they don't seem to consistently follow their own Universal Formula, that's for sure.

If I'm grilling, I usually cut the sugar back by at least half so the chicken skin will be less likely to burn. Since there is some sugar in the marinade/baste, I'll probably go with none, or just a little, sugar in the brine.

Since direct heat has been suggested, I'm thinking of trying Direct / Medium-low heat on my Genesis gasser for the first try of this recipe on some thighs. My 1- or two-year old grill runs hotter than my old one did. Chips never give me any flavor, so I'll also try using some small chunks of hickory.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Thanks, Ron. It's hard to pin Cook's Illustrated down on their brines. I've been collecting their brine proportions for several years and they don't seem to consistently follow their own Universal Formula, that's for sure.

If I'm grilling, I usually cut the sugar back by at least half so the chicken skin will be less likely to burn. Since there is some sugar in the marinade/baste, I'll probably go with none, or just a little, sugar in the brine.

Since direct heat has been suggested, I'm thinking of trying Direct / Medium-low heat on my Genesis gasser for the first try of this recipe on some thighs. My 1- or two-year old grill runs hotter than my old one did. Chips never give me any flavor, so I'll also try using some small chunks of hickory.

Isn't the basic brine solution 1:1:1? 1 gallon of water to 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of salt?

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Bryan, or anyone, what do you think of brining the chicken for this recipe?

Rita
Sorry Rita, somehow i missed your question. I usually marinate the chicken in the sauce for about 6-8 hrs before i grill it up. The flavor really gets into the chicken. Yes i think you could use it as a brine/marinade but i wouldn't go more than 12 hrs. It might get overpowering if you go longer than that.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan,

I'm going to be grilling some chicken over the weekend and might give your recipe a whirl.

Reading the posts, however, I'm confused over how long you marinate the chicken in the sauce ... is it "up to 2 hours" or "6-8"?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Bryan,

I'm going to be grilling some chicken over the weekend and might give your recipe a whirl.

Reading the posts, however, I'm confused over how long you marinate the chicken in the sauce ... is it "up to 2 hours" or "6-8"?

Thanks.
You don't have to marinate it at all. When i first started making this i never marinated. The flavor gets into the chicken better if you do but i have made it more times without marinating than with. Anywhere between 2-8 hrs would be fine.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bryan.

Using the kettle, do you cook the chicken indirect?

I'm prowling the boards today getting ideas on how to prep chicken for a party tomorrow.

Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Thanks Bryan.

Using the kettle, do you cook the chicken indirect?

I'm prowling the boards today getting ideas on how to prep chicken for a party tomorrow.
Dennis, I use direct on the kettle with a nice even single layer of charcoal. You just have to keep an eye on it, mop fast and get the lid on quick to snuff out the flames after mopping. Like Bill said it's fun chasing the flames.
icon_biggrin.gif
Let me know how you liked it. This chicken is always a huge hit at my house.
icon_smile.gif

Your tempting me Bryan!

I figure I need to cook 4 birds for the party. The issue with going indirect is that I would have to cook in two batches.

Cooking direct I could cook all 4 birds at once (cut in halfs). A tight fit, but I think I could do it. There wouldn't be any room for a cool zone however.

Also ... what is your total cooking time?

Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Your tempting me Bryan!

Cooking direct I could cook all 4 birds at once (cut in halfs). A tight fit, but I think I could do it. There wouldn't be any room for a cool zone however.

Also ... what is your total cooking time?
I use my 22.5" kettle. I usually do 6-8 1/2's at a time. Cook time is about 45 min give or take a few.
icon_smile.gif

Go for it, Dennis ~ You won't be sorry!
icon_cool.gif
And if you get a little char, it just adds to the flavor.
icon_wink.gif

This recipe is somewhat similar to the 'Fire Department' Cornell Chicken. Boy that stuff is good. I have to cook some chicken breasts this weekend and I'll be using this recipe.

thanks

Back