Couple of questions

John Carlson

TVWBB Member
Just a couple questions for the masses.
1) I hear a lot about temp differences between the lid and cooking surface, my 22.5 runs within a couple degrees. I use the built in for the lid temp and a run of the mill oven thermometer for the cooking grate. I have checked it several times with different thermometers and it is consistently close in temps. I guess my question is, has anyone else had the same experience or is there always that big temp difference?

Question 2) is it better to close 1 or 2 vent dampers fully and use 1 for temp control or would I get better flow and more consistent temps using all of them just chocked down more? Thanks for all the help. On a lighter note, it's about 20 F and windy here in Iowa and she's holding pretty good at 225. The tempation to open the lid and poke at the brisket is killing me though! Thanks again.

John,welcome to the forum! If you are happy with the thermometer that came with your WSM,go for it! As far as adjusting the vents,once again,if you are happy using one vent to keep your temps level,that's fine! The only draw back I could see is uneven burning from getting air from one side only. But,like I said,if it works for you,go for it! You never know,you might just start a new trend!

Thanks Phil. I am happy with the stock thermometer, I just read how everyone is dissatisfied with them so I thought maybe I have an oddity, but it seems to be accurate. Thats what I was wondering about the vent, wether I would get an uneven burn therefore, inconsitent and harder to control temps. So far so good. It's about 20 degrees and snowing here in beautiful Central Iowa with a stiff wind but she's smoking right along!

I think it has to do with how much cold meat you put up on that top grate.

As to the vents, don't worry about it. The fewer you have to mess with, the easier it seems to be to me.

Smokin' is all about having the temp in a range. I do not get too concerned about how accurate the thermometer is on the dome of my WSM. I have found a range that produces good results and just shoot for that.
Like Phil said, it is all about what works for you.
Also I am glad to hear that the weather is nice down south there.( Your neighbor from about 20 miles north)

Mike

Thanks Mike, I agree with the temp range comment. It is interesting though that everyone talks about the differences but I have checked it multiple times and it usually runs pretty close but that's the nature of the game I guess, everyone has a different experience, lending to the art rather than the science.

John, much like Phil said. i you are happy with the results of the themometer in the lid and how you control your vents, then have at it.

With all the testing done on the 22.5, the 18.5 (which remember, it didn't have a built in thermometer for years and years)..

personally i believe the upper grate temp, lower grate temp, lid temp, water temp differences is just another load of nothing. the low and slow cooking temps and times make it all a wash. Is there a temp difference in the middle compared to the bottom? a little. enough to make a difference? I don't think so.

Take a look at a regular kitchen oven.. they all have hotspots, weird drafting flows etc.

take notes of your vent positions and amount of charcoal for what you are cooking. enjoy, but don't fret over all these little nuances. that takes the fun out of it.

besides, i'm pretty sure those thermometers they were putting in all the grills were +/- 20 degrees or so. I forget.

Thanks Mike, I agree with what you say. It seems like we all try to make it more complicated than it needs to be when it comes to temps. As long as we keep it low, a few degrees here and there doesn't seem to matter much.

Well i think you will make som killer BBQ at most temps, The key is to hold a steady temp.

But i like it slow and steady!

Back