TVWBB Iron Chef

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
In another tread, I proposed an iron chef style cookoff.

you can read the original idea thread.

I figured we'd get some more input if I started a new thread specific to this idea.

At this point, we need to:

secure the help of the three MVP's
formalize the rules
and assemble the teams

I'm going to start putting together my 3 person team. I want to get a jump on lining up my sous chefs on the odd chance we actually do this
icon_wink.gif

I am definitely interested in taking part - either as participant or spectator. This could be pretty cool.

How do you, j - and anyone else - see this working? What sort of plan/flow do you have in mind?

Kevin, I was hoping for some more outside input before I offered any more ideas, but here's how I'd like this to go down:

I get to recruit two sous chefs (I have a couple members in mind
icon_wink.gif
), and someone else, who wants to challenge me, gets to do the same. Once we get to teams set, the Mvps and or Chris can decide on the secret ingredient. Once announced we'd have a few weeks to submit 3 dishes, one from each team member. One dish must be roasted indirect on a kettle or wsm, one dish grilled, one dish is unlimited. Each member gets 2 photo posts per dish, one production (4 photos max), one plated (1 photo). Once all six photo posts are in. The mvps can judge based on appearance, creativity, technique and use of ingredient. Once a winner is declared, a new set of teams could be formed, or the winner could hold serve for a new challenger.

Wow this contest sounds great, can't wait to we see what will be entered.
We've just completed our 3rd throwdown competition on our bbq website Aussie bbq forums and April's theme was Poultry. That can cover chicken,duck, turkey,geese,and any other bird referred to as poultry and there were 13 entries. The presentation display had to be on a white plate on a black background and all the plate had to be included. The rules are at the beginning.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/foru...opic.php?f=33&t=3722
The first 2 comps earlier this year had a few teething problems as far as the rules were concerned but I think they are getting it all ironed out now.
the entry that came 2nd was from a 9 year old girl...imagine that..it's great to harvest new talent.
I know it's not exactly Iron Chef but the skills of the majority of our people have increased tenfold.

Cheers

Davo

start thinking of the first secret ingredient then,
You'll have to forgive me - though I know some of the participants on Iron Chef, I have never seen the show, don't really know its flow. I'll look at Davo's link. Is there anything else to know?

The 1st secret ingredient, Beef Mojellas (sweetbreads). 2nd secret ingredient, pan de campo.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">start thinking of the first secret ingredient then,
You'll have to forgive me - though I know some of the participants on Iron Chef, I have never seen the show, don't really know its flow. I'll look at Davo's link. Is there anything else to know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,
To be an authentic judge, you must first learn to speak Japanese with English Subtitles.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by K Kruger:
You'll have to forgive me - though I know some of the participants on Iron Chef, I have never seen the show, don't really know its flow. I'll look at Davo's link. Is there anything else to know?

I love this idea since I'm a huge Iron Chef (original & America) fan. Can't wait to see how this all turns out.

The show's format is pretty straightforward. The Chairman (maybe Chris?) would introduce the challenging chef who would then select an iron chef to challenge. But in this case, it would be j biesinger and his 2 sous chefs against another team of 3.

Then the Chairman would reveal his pick of the secret ingredient to both chefs and they have 1 hour to come up with a number of dishes (anywhere from 4 to 5, depending on which show) featuring the secret ingredient. Each dish must contain the secret ingredient.

Each chef's dishes are then judged by a panel of judges (in this case, our MVPs). Each judge can award up to 20 points for each chef. The points are broken down into 3 categories: 10 points for taste (which we couldn't really do here but another category as jb mentioned), up to 5 points for plating (appearance), and up to 5 points for the originality of the dishes. Winner goes to the chef with the highest score.

In a case of a tie, which I think I've seen once in the original series, the chefs use another secret ingredient with whatever remains in their kitchen to make the dishes of the first ingredient. But if we only have 3 judges, technically each judge would pick a winner based on the points they awarded and ties wouldn't be an issue.

Oooo, I can't wait to see what the secret ingredient is.

Thank you for that CarolB.

So, in this case the secret ingredient would be the thing that, as j proposes, would be roasted, grilled and cooked whatever way is the preference...right? One secret ingredient cooked 3 ways, yes?

(Funny, Charles.)

Back