TVWBB Iron Chef

So, in this case the secret ingredient would be the thing that, as j proposes, would be roasted, grilled and cooked whatever way is the preference...right? One secret ingredient cooked 3 ways, yes?

I don't see it as being that limiting. Take for example chocolate, it would have to be incorporated in to a barbecued, a grilled, and one other dish.

A protein would be tricky because most don't lend themselves to multiple cooking styles, unless you picked an animal.

I'm thinking you, Kevin, would be the best to come up with something atypical that would work well in a range of cooking styles.

it would have to be incorporated in to a barbecued, a grilled, and one other dish.A protein would be tricky because most don't lend themselves to multiple cooking styles, unless you picked an animal.
Okay, I'm following you.

The protein(s) cooked is determined by the team?

The protein(s) cooked is determined by the team?

I supposed we could go two ways:

1) secret ingredient, no limit on protein, 3 cooking styles

2) secret ingredient, 3 of 4 kcbs meats, no limit cooking style

I'm partial to option 1.

Hmm. I'm thinking differently: Not 1 and not 2. I'm thinking 3 different proteins (but not necessarily comp meats); secret ingredient.

What say you...?

Hmm. I'm thinking differently: Not 1 and not 2. I'm thinking 3 different proteins (but not necessarily comp meats); secret ingredient.

What say you...?

Kevin

Well, keeping with the theme of the board, I was thinking we'd make the challenge related to the cookers (weber kettle and wsm), and make the ingredients less restrictive (other than a secret ingredient).

I've only seen the show a few times, so I don't have a concrete idea of how its run.

I had to laugh, because here in Buffalo we have a pretty cool contest going called Nickel City Chef (no connection to my bbq team). They get great local chefs to compete at a kitchen showroom. Anyways, they had their first ever pastry contest and the secret ingredient was...sugar
icon_rolleyes.gif
. Well it was some organic, blah blah, locally produced, blah blah, brown sugar, but really...that's a challenge?

Well, keeping with the theme of the board, I was thinking we'd make the challenge related to the cookers (weber kettle and wsm), and make the ingredients less restrictive (other than a secret ingredient).
Agreed - though I think the theme of the board can be maintained without restricting to KCBS meats. I'm thinking one, e.g., should be fish/seafood.

Sugar...? You're joking!

For the sake of argument (and hopefully keeping a really good idea alive), maybe we should conduct a poll and maybe use examples that are too simplistic to ever be theme ingredients.

If I'm following this, Jeff's idea 1 would be to make a specific cut of meat 3 different ways. Version 2 would be a specific theme ingredient but limited to KCBS proteins (whatever they may be). And Kevin's take is essentially version 2 without any limit on proteins.

So how do we do a poll?

Jeff's idea 1 would be to make a specific cut of meat 3 different ways.

not quite. My idea is:

three dishes all prepared with one secret ingredient
the secret ingredient would not be the protein, leaving that up to the team members
one dish must be grilled (direct), one smoked/roasted (indirect), one anything goes

if the secret was chocolate I would see a legal entry of:

1) grilled chicken with mole sauce (featuring chocolate)
2) smoked brisket with a cocoa based rub
3) flourless chocolate cake

the key being the theme ingredient and three cooking styles. I think this would open up the most possibilities and showcase our skills with weber cookers and in the kitchen. And it might get us thinking in new directions with different ingredients.

I think I kind of get where Kevin's going. Limit the dishes to 1) seafood, 2) poultry, 3)pork or beef. All must be cooked over live fire (direct or indirect) and include a secret ingredient (not related to protein).

Hmmm. Not to rock the boat, but I'd like to see the same protein used for all three preparations, using (as mentioned): smoking, grilling, and optional cooking method; plus a secret ingredient.
Example: hanger steak and (secret ingredient) garam masala.
I think this would help to focus the challenge/creativity.
just my 2 cents...
icon_smile.gif

but I'd like to see the same protein used for all three preparations

I guess we should set up a poll and go with the majority.

I'm afraid regional variations might make a limit on the protein a problem. Like your example of hanger steak, those are hard to come by.

How about this:

3 cooking styles (smoking, grilling, and misc)
3 proteins (seafood, poultry, and beef or pork)
1 secret ingredient

we get to mix and match as long as we cover all the required items and use the secret ingredient in all 3 dishes

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I think that 1 secret ingredient would allow for the most creativity.

I still say Beef Mojellas for the secret ingredient, not very many people can cook good mojellas.

I was thinking more along (with a few small differences) what J was getting at. One secret ingredient and do with it what you would like. For example like he says chocolate, or lemon or whatever, but not a protein, protein would not even have to be in the dish like the chocolate cake excample. From there we make three dishes. The only place I differ is I think all three should be over fire, I personally wouldn't limit direct or indirect.....Just me $0.02!

Clark

how does this sound?

we have one secret ingredient. we write the rest into the judging criteria.

judging could go like this:

1) appearance/presentation
2) creativity/use of secret ingredient
3) technique

Each would be worth 3 points, each dish could max at 9, and a team max of 27. An additional 3 points could be awarded as a team score for how well the three dishes work together. The final team total would be 30 points.

1) covers one final, plated photo, as well as 4 photos taken during prep. Judges are looking for good presentation start to finish. This would be similar to how the show discusses dishes as they are made. Teams could post photos, but no comments until a final description of plated dish. Comments during the duration of the contest would be limited to MVP's and non competing board members. After plating, before scoring, the judges can post questions for the competitors.

2) covers creative uses of: secret ingredient, weber grills, fire/smoke, different proteins. More is better.

3) covers how much of the creativity made sense. Did the cooking techniques match the chosen proteins? Does dish appear to be expertly executed? Was the secret ingredient used appropriately?

4) covers the team/meal concept. Was there a theme other than secret ingredient? Was there repetition in any dish, or use of the secret ingredient?

Clarification: Are we talking 3 different proteins that are the choice of the teams - plus the secret ingredient (which is not the teams' choice), used in each recipe?

Or are we talking 3 different proteins settled on beforehand, that each team must cook (they can choose which of the three cooking techniques they wish for each protein but all techniques must be covered) - plus the secret ingredient, used in each recipe? (This would be my choice.)

Or are we talking something different...?

Back