Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Kettle fried chicken

TVWBB Fan
    My goodness that looks incredible, thank you for sharing
    Zac

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    A quick check on light mayo shows the main ingredient is water, then oil, so my theory and your results make sense.
    Tried your method of a little moisture on the thigh. I did a rinse and a lite pat with a paper towel and put The LA seasoning in a bag and shook the thighs one at a time in that. Then a lite spray of canola oil.
    Results….Perfect chicken, nice even coating and very crisp skin along with great flavor.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Marinated ours with buttermilk today, and it was pretty good.

Tried using mayo the other day, but wifey said it was too soggy.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

TVWBB Pro
    Ever since I first saw this thread I've been wanting to do this. Tonight's the night. I have a bunch of chicken legs and thighs that I'm going to drop in some batter and use a box of Dixie Fry I found at the store today. I wish I had a vortex to use but since I don't I'm just going to try and direct like the original post.

TVWBB Pro
    My first attempt at this didn't go as well as I hoped it would. I did legs and thighs indirect at about 450. Everything tasted good and the chicken was juicy. But a lot of the batter fell off during the cook. And it wasn't as crispy as I hoped it would be. I didn't put any oil on the chicken during the cook and going back through this thread I believe I should have. I'll do it again and brush or spray a little oil next time to see if I can get the crispy fried outcome. Even though it was good it was more like baked chicken. I'm also thinking a vortex would be useful for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in CA View Post
    My first attempt at this didn't go as well as I hoped it would.
    Pictures ?
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

TVWBB Pro
    Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of that one, but even if I did it seems I seldom get finished shots and never get plated ones. I'm real good at taking pictures of some of the preparation and when it first goes on the grill, with the intent of getting the finished product pictures also. Then I get busy and the pictures get neglected.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Been a while since I have done these. Going to do today. Thinking of try with a grill mat or parchment. Do you think this would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Trommater View Post
    Been a while since I have done these. Going to do today. Thinking of try with a grill mat or parchment. Do you think this would work?
    I've only done them directly on the grate.
    Grill mat should work, parchment would burn I would think on a grill over direct heat ( I only use it on the WSM or in the oven).

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Super Fan
    I knew as soon as I put chicken on I messed up. No where for juices to go. Oh well. Still tasted good. Last time stuck to grates so got this bright idea.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617