Crispy skin beer can chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Hohl

Has anyone ever got those results on the WSM? Most of the recipies I've read indicate a softer/chewier skin. And these are cooking a little lower and slower.

I'm going to try my first one today. I'm thinking of cooking at a higher temp, perhaps 350-400. Although I considered removing the water pan, I'll probably just leave it in empty for the indirect effect.

The last beer can chicken I did on my WSM I did at about 250 and the chicken skin was somewhat crispy. It turned out a nice golden brown. I don't eat the skin though, so I peeled it off.

I've done several each week. I just set it up for indirect cooking, with a drip pan between the coals, charcoal ring removed. The I put up to four chickens on the topr grate. Have not had a problem yet. They are done in just over an hour at 375-400. No fuss, no muss, just toss the drip pan.

Try taking your water pan out and cooking modified indirect at a higher temp. That should crisp it up nicely.

Thanks Gentlemen!!

I tried it with an empty water pan and a lid temp of about 315. I couldn't get the temp any higher. I think that was a result of not enough Kingsford and a pretty windy day. The chicken turned out very moist and flavorful, but the skin was not crispy.

Guess I'll keep on trying and thanks for the tips.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back