Holding pork butt overnight...

Gregg M.

TVWBB Member
Plan on doing a few butts tomorrow. They'll probably be done about 9-11pm tomorrow night. Later than I'm going to feel like pulling them. We plan on pulling them on Sunday morning/early afternoon.

So what is the best way to store them overnight?

Tinfoil, towels, and cooler method? Think that would be fine for 8-9 hours?

Throw them in the fridge?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tinfoil, towels, and cooler method? Think that would be fine for 8-9 hours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i've gone 6 hours doing it as describe above and it was STILL VERY HOT...
I'd feel good about it.

Bacteria starts to grow below 140F. If you can't adjust your cooking schedule, pull the meat when it's done and ziplock it. I don't think you'll get 8-9 hours held even in a best case.

When reheating, add some liquid (apple juice, broth etc..). I reheat by placing ziplocks in simmering water. If you're reheating large quantities, spread it evenly on a flat pan, add liquid and cover with foil in the oven. Temp range is pretty open depending on heating time.

Just to note, I've held a butt in a pre-warmed cooler, wrapped in towels, positioned in the blazing sun for 5 hours and the internal temp was still in the 150's but dropping fast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">internal temp was still in the 150's but dropping fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When holding food, it's not the internal but the surface temp that's important...

How many is a few? The more you have in the cooler the longer they will stay hot due to the fact that you have heat radiating from several which keeps 'em hot longer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garry W.:
How many is a few? The more you have in the cooler the longer they will stay hot due to the fact that you have heat radiating from several which keeps 'em hot longer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2. I put them on early this morning so they may be done around 9-10pm. If so, I'll let them rest for an hour and pull them tonight

How do you guess how much more the pork will continue to cook in the foil when holding for so long?

Just saying that I've had plenty of 'Q right off the pit as well as held hot for all stinkin' day long, and I can tell you that reheating the next day will win HANDS DOWN IF YOU COOK TIL TRULY TENDER. No need to hold for an hour either if you cook it right. Just put it in a pan to cool a bit while you take a shower. Come back and pull the gristle and big pieces of fat out, bag, and chill in the sink with some ice water before sticking in the fridge.

Next day, let your nose tell you when the reheated bbq it hot.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">thermophilic bacteria grow throughout the protein from 110-150F, not just at surface level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe your correct however the point is that the surface temp is usually going to be cooler then the internal temp... A lot of people leave a probe in he center 0f the meat when holding.

2. I put them on early this morning so they may be done around 9-10pm. If so, I'll let them rest for an hour and pull them tonight[/QUOTE]

Thats what I would do. After pulling rest for a hour on the counter than let them cool in a sheet pan in the fridge uncovered overnite.
Holding them in a cooler for 8-9 hrs would IMO cause alot of carryover heat which could dry out and toughen your butts if you cooked till tender.

Tim

Back