Harry Soo's Amazing Rib Recipe

Rob P.

TVWBB Member
I went to my local butcher and bought a few slabs of St. Louis cut baby backs.

I've always liked Harry Soo and his dedication to the WSM, so I decided to give his amazing rib recipe a go.

Started with the SYD rub and allowed the ribs to rest in the refrigerator for 5 hours.

IMG_9027.jpg

Then cooked for two hours, pulled and foiled with honey and brown sugar.

IMG_9035.jpg

Put them back on the smoker for 1.5 hours and used the Performer to add a Jalapeno Peach BBQ sauce.

IMG_9044.jpg

They were the best ribs I've prepared to date. Layers of flavor and perfectly done. I highly recommend trying his recipe. Really, really good!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hugh Albrecht:
sorry for the ignorance. what is SYD rub. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Soo's rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hugh Albrecht:
sorry for the ignorance. what is SYD rub. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not ignorant, Hugh! SYD = Slap Yo Daddy

It's the name of Harry Soo's competition BBQ team. http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/

The ribs look great Rob - I like anything with Jalapeno
icon_smile.gif

I've used a couple of Williams Sonoma rubs, sauces etc. and they've been pretty good - I always wait for the end of the season sales though $$
icon_wink.gif

I made the SYD rub for BB ribs. My bad in that the recipe calls for some type of "mild" chile powder which I did not have so I used full strength. WRONG! Still turned out great butt could have been better. That's what this is all about though. It's a learning process.

Great looking Smoke Rob!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
I made the SYD rub for BB ribs. My bad in that the recipe calls for some type of "mild" chile powder which I did not have so I used full strength. WRONG! Still turned out great butt could have been better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you like it mild, ancho works great and has a great color as well.

I actually made these a few weeks ago. I thought the brown sugar/honey add would really sweeten them up so I made a modified No. 5 sauce with a little more acid to offset the sweet. Surprising to me, the sugar addition really didn't add as much sweetness as I expected. The ribs were still great but I think I may adjust the sweeteners higher next time. Your pic show that you used more brown sugar than I did. Overall, I still rate them in my top 10.
For heat. I used simple cayenne which I thought was just right. I did think about using jalapeno powder instead but left the recipe as close to Soo as I could. I also used a homemade chile powder rather than store bought (ancho, guajillo and aleppo).
They did have great colour though.

Back