Bobby Flay Pulled Pork Challenge

Scott G.

TVWBB Member
Anbody see Bobby Flay do a pulled pork challenge against Lee Ann Whippen from Chesapeake VA? They actually used CBJs, so it was a fair contest. I wont ruin it for those that haven't seen it yet
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott G.:
They actually used CBJs, so it was a fair contest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
See this is where I would get myself in trouble. I'm keeping my mouth shut this time.
icon_frown.gif

I havemt seen it yet Scott so thanks for not telling. My best guess is that Lee Ann wins. There are many people that do not care for B Flay but I like him better then most TV chefs because he showcases other cooks instead of just himself.

I saw it, its one of my favorite FN shows
and yeah the competitors often win
unlike Iron Chef where the Iron Chefs win almost all the time.

She seemed to have an impressive competition record, American Royal included
but her recipe is secret and not on the show website unlike most other participants who give out their recipe.

just watched last night, thought about posting but figured i'd get beatin for saying "bobby flay" although in my opinion Tyler Florence and his "best bbq ribs" were more of a thorn in my side...along w/ his face... ........best bbq ribs...pshhh.. in a oven w/ no smoke! ill hold em and brian s. can feed em real bbq! ..but ya enjoyed the show last night. -dan
edit.
Alton Brown is a great guy to watch.. he doesn't make such claims to oven ribs...although they looked tasty!

I ate at this bbq place a couple weeks ago, it must have been an off night, but I was very disappointed with the pulled pork. I did not see the show, but if they wanted to win, I am sure they did something a whole lot better than what I was served.

If there was a choice between Lee Ann and Flay for Q, well there isn't a choice. Not knocking him, his shows are entertaining, but when it comes to live fire cooking some of the techniques used fall short. That or perhaps we are simply spoiled by the quality of information presented here.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Bobby Flay is the most gracious TV chef. How can you knock a guy who goes out of his way to help other peoples busines? Yeah he wins some and has lost some and we get to see all the great food that is out there. He beat one guy on the grilled cheese sandwhich you know what the guy said "I am putting this sandwhich on my menu". As to the pulled pork I won't spoil it. It was a great show.

"throwdown" came here to go up against Buzz and Ned's ribs. Bobby lost that one...and they made up T-shirts for the resteraunt needling Bobby Flay. I think that is pretty cool that he is willing to go up against people like this to endorse the local flair, then take his losses in such a good way. Great show.

BTW, Buzz and Ned's is in Richmond, VA and is a legit BBQ joint for pulled pork, ribs, brisket, and great sides (only place in a hundred miles to get brisket). if you are rolling down I-95, it is definitely worth a stop.

Saw that show. Those ribs looked great. If I ever get in that area I would love to stop by and sample the product.

Just goes to show BBQ is not meant to be fancy, gourmet, overly complicated or rushed.......BBQ is made from the heart, soul, simple ingredients and alot of time. Take away from the simplicity of BBQ and it's no longer BBQ in my opinion!

Bobby is a tremendous Chef............pitmaster he is NOT!

I come from a different place. I cook food that I like which means food that is not bland and has some complexity to it. I could not care less if it's called barbecue or not. I am not all that interested in cooking meats this way or that simply to be able to call it 'barbecue', nor am I interested in adhering to any of the many myths of 'barbecue' (that are often contradictory) simply for (bogus, to me) 'authenticity'.

Rhetorical questions but: Comp barbecue is not 'simple' at all (unlike many Q joints) so is it not barbecue? Many joints scarcely season--is theirs not barbecue? Most of the central Texas places, well known for brisket, cook theirs hot and fast: not barbecue? Some of them wrap in foil, some with sauce or liquid added: barbecue or not?

Do whatever answers one comes up with matter? I don't think so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I come from a different place. I cook food that I like which means food that is not bland and has some complexity to it. I could not care less if it's called barbecue or not. I am not all that interested in cooking meats this way or that simply to be able to call it 'barbecue', nor am I interested in adhering to any of the many myths of 'barbecue' (that are often contradictory) simply for (bogus, to me) 'authenticity'.

Rhetorical questions but: Comp barbecue is not 'simple' at all (unlike many Q joints) so is it not barbecue? Many joints scarcely season--is theirs not barbecue? Most of the central Texas places, well known for brisket, cook theirs hot and fast: not barbecue? Some of them wrap in foil, some with sauce or liquid added: barbecue or not?

Do whatever answers one comes up with matter? I don't think so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin you can cook ‘your’ meats with whatever you want to cook it with, with whatever ingredients you want to cook them with and however fast you want to cook it and you can call it whatever you choose. I simply made a statement about how Bobby Flay cooked his ‘BBQ’, versus how a true BBQ Pit master cooked and how it was cooked. Meaning to only state the obvious differences in what people like and what they consider “BBQ”.

Competition BBQ is not any more complicated than backyard BBQ is and YES it is still BBQ….…..the two main differences are, #1. you are highly concentrating the flavors of your normal BBQ and #2. is the presentation. Other than that, it’s the same……..

My favorite part of this show is seeing how much disdain Bobby's "assistants" clearly have for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eli:
My favorite part of this show is seeing how much disdain Bobby's "assistants" clearly have for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the same thing!!! They looked miserable!!!
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Competition BBQ is not any more complicated than backyard BBQ is and YES it is still BBQ… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. My point was not to compare backyard with comp (I didn't mention backyard), more to note the difference between comp and Q joint, most of which doesn't come close to the complexity of comp Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Competition BBQ is not any more complicated than backyard BBQ is and YES it is still BBQ… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. My point was not to compare backyard with comp (I didn't mention backyard), more to note the difference between comp and Q joint, most of which doesn't come close to the complexity of comp Q. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully agree! Most Q joint BBQ is very bland, dry and/or over sauced, especially the Chain Joints........but for some reason people continue to line up to eat at them!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back