Bobby Flay Pulled Pork Challenge

I have not seen this but I did see the Buzz and Neds one. Buzz is in my hometown, so I had to give what I could glean from his show a try. I am not a huge fan of only white oak (I am a Georgia native,thus I need at least one hunk of hickory I have discovered)but I have had great success with his wet marinade. I make my own rub, but put a lot of worstershire in it to make a 'liquid with texture" then dab that all over the ribs. Anyway, that was a good show, and yes Buzz and Neds does make some good Q.

I read somewhere that Flay’s Throwdown series was meant to soften his image somewhat. Early on he was seen as pretty cocky, especially after his Iron Chef appearance on the original show where he jumped on his cutting board which offended the Japanese contingent. He certainly comes off looking very gracious losing to some local chefs. I have to think most of the judges know who’s food they’re tasting anyway, since he usually puts some Southwest flavors in anything he cooks. Either way, local or Flay, it all looks good to me.

Saw the show and liked it.

Just something I thought of my buddy cooks on a big pull behind grill and I cook alot on the wsm. The food on the wsm comes out better imo.

I think if you are cooking 4 slabs of ribs for a competetion or in the back yard you can tend to them better or easier than when you are cooking 35 slabs of ribs, chaicken, and butts for a catering gig. Not that it can't be done it is just more of a challenge.

Bobby comes to Louisville for the Derby and I know many people who have met him. Everyone has said that he is a great guy, funny, and down to earth.

A friend of mines wife who owns a catering bussiness hung out with him for the day cooking some of his meals for his cook book he was promoting. Said he was down to earth and had a good time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff W:
I read somewhere that Flay’s Throwdown series was meant to soften his image somewhat. Early on he was seen as pretty cocky, especially after his Iron Chef appearance on the original show where he jumped on his cutting board which offended the Japanese contingent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes to the cocky part but alot of people don't realize just how young he was when he started all this. In his first appearance on Iron Chef he was in his mid 20's. Say what you want about the guy but I love him. And yes He comes across as a very down to earth person and is very gracious in losing.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff W:
I read somewhere that Flay’s Throwdown series was meant to soften his image somewhat. Early on he was seen as pretty cocky, especially after his Iron Chef appearance on the original show where he jumped on his cutting board which offended the Japanese contingent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If memory serves he lost his first Iron Chef. He did jump up on the counter and what really upset the other chef was that he stood on the cutting board. This was seen as a real insult to the sanctity of the cleanliness of food prep. Most are familiar with the Japanese customs regarding shoes etc. On his second visit he won and while he again jumped up on the counter he did not stand on the cutting board.

Saw a program on him recently, he was a high school dropout, his father forced him to go to work at a friends restaurant where he gradually became interested in cooking. The guy staked his expenses to school (Culinary Institute in NY?) and he became one of the youngest grads…and the rest is history. I do enjoy his shows and his love for the grill is obvious…can’t be all bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris kenney:
"throwdown" came here to go up against Buzz and Ned's ribs. Bobby lost that one...and they made up T-shirts for the resteraunt needling Bobby Flay. I think that is pretty cool that he is willing to go up against people like this to endorse the local flair, then take his losses in such a good way. Great show.

BTW, Buzz and Ned's is in Richmond, VA and is a legit BBQ joint for pulled pork, ribs, brisket, and great sides (only place in a hundred miles to get brisket). if you are rolling down I-95, it is definitely worth a stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will second that! I am originally from Outside of Richmond and I made a effort to get by there anytime I could. They had a little trailer out by Greentop sporting goods and whenever I went to buy anything I ended up with a barbecue sandwich.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I fully agree! Most Q joint BBQ is very bland, dry and/or over sauced, especially the Chain Joints........but for some reason people continue to line up to eat at them! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason people continue to eat at them is because most of them do not know what real BBQ is. I had no idea what real BBQ ribs tasted like until I got my WSM. Born and raised in Connecticut there are not any good BBQ joints anywhere around here.

Thomas hall do you happen to have the recipe for that Buzz's marinade? I don't get home to richmond all that often and would love to use a little bit of Buzz's influence on my que down here in Tennessee.

Back