Mojobricks

I use them and like them. I use the mojoqubes hickory and after a small learning curve with my big steel keg I have had no issues with them. I did not have any real issues using them in my WSM.

First question is "What are Mojobricks ?"

I went to the website.
Next questions are -

cost?
convenience?
effectiveness?
where can I get them?
ease of use?

vs regular wood chunks

In my opinion it is getting to the point where we may as well just throw the meat in the oven, set the temp and go watch TV. I don't want to insult anyone but I do this because I want to tend to the fire, throw in the logs and work the draft. If I want a brick of compressed wood I will just buy a duraflame and throw it in the fireplace.
Just my opinion, you do not have to agree.

I've used them in my WSM, BGE, UDS, Bandera, Kettle and Cookshack Smokette and they worked great! Cherry and Maple are the only ones I've used so far and I have not been disappointed.

I cut the bricks up with a bandsaw and use them for smoke and not a heat source. There is no "learning curve" if you use them for smoke. I think there is a market for them, but most folks don't have the means to cut them, and its good to see Fred is selling them in "Q"ube form.

Everyone that I've spoken to that uses them have no complaints. I use Presto Logs to heat my family room in the winter and have used Pellet cookers to bake and smoke with, so what could be so wrong with using Mojobricks?

Do a search of my Mojobrick cooks on the Brethren site and judge for yourself (I go by swamprb on the bbq forums)

IMG_3647.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
In my opinion it is getting to the point where we may as well just throw the meat in the oven, set the temp and go watch TV. I don't want to insult anyone but I do this because I want to tend to the fire, throw in the logs and work the draft. If I want a brick of compressed wood I will just buy a duraflame and throw it in the fireplace.
Just my opinion, you do not have to agree. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK!

IMG_3671.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Just my opinion, you do not have to agree. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, it's to the point that some dont even use charcoal anymore, or wood. Some use gassers like a Genesis. The audacity of them.

Not sure if that was a dig at me or not Louie but Yes I do own a Genesis and I certainly do not see the hypocrisy in owning it and what I wrote in your post. Along with my sizzle Q it makes terrific bacon and hash browns for Saturday morning breakfast. Please remember that I was deliberate in my post to state I was only offering my opinion. I would never tell another BBQ enthusiast what he or she should use or how they should use it. I only offer my opinion or which you decide how much value to place on it.

And Brian, I have been up all night so please forgive my stupidity but I am not sure of the meaning of your picture? I see a Mojobrick, a hand full of pellets and is that a duraflame? please explain the meaning as sometimes I can be ignorant of the obvious.-thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Louie G:

I agree, it's to the point that some dont even use charcoal anymore, or wood. Some use gassers like a Genesis. The audacity of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize this is meant as a joke but:

Some like a gasser because for us (them), it's more about enjoying the company of friends for a get-together than tending charcoal to make sure it's lit, burnt down, enough, etc etc.

As for wood, my gasser does just fine with a "tinder box" with whatever wood chips I choose to use for some smoke.

My WSM is there for other smokes and sometimes just enjoys "sitting in the sun" with the rest of us.

and Steve, it's sad when you have to preface comments with

And Brian, I have been up all night so please forgive my stupidity but I am not sure of the meaning of your picture .... please explain the meaning as sometimes I can be ignorant of the obvious.-thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see why it was done but it seems more people are upset by other peoples opinions.

Keep up your input without apologies.
icon_biggrin.gif

And Brian, I have been up all night so please forgive my stupidity but I am not sure of the meaning of your picture? I see a Mojobrick, a hand full of pellets and is that a duraflame? please explain the meaning as sometimes I can be ignorant of the obvious.-thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve- If I had pics of some Bradley Bisquettes, Smoke Pistol cartridges, BBQ'rs Delight Smoke Stix or Grill Kickers I'd post those as well. They are all used for smoke or heat.
No, thats not a Duraflame, but a Lignetics Energy Log that I use in my wood stove!

Here's a true story for you-
Last year my teammate Ty calls me from the Blaine, WA/Canadaian Border crossing and tells me that there is a Zero Tolerance for transporting wood with bark into Canada-same goes for crossing into the States. We were cooking on a stickburning Klose pit and had @ 1/4 cord of Cherry on board. Its 8pm on Friday and I'm scrambling to find a cook that can hook us up with that much wood the next morning in British Columbia or we aren't competing. My friend Gary shows up with a couple cases of Cherry Mojobricks, if the Klose had a charcoal basket we probably could have pulled it off, as it ended up we had to drive into Vancouver and bought some punky Cherry logs that barely put out the BTU's and had a hard time keeping the Klose up to temp. Thats the way it is in PNWBA Land!

Back