Hormel Natural Pork Butts (Enhanced?)

Dupree

TVWBB Fan
When ordering our butts from the local butcher I had my wife ensure that the meat was NOT enhanced. The butcher's reply was "not sure, I will ask" but the box is "Hormel Natural" I am thinking this means NOT enhanced but haven't found anything on the net to say one way or the other.

Anyone here have any insight?

not so. the hormel "all natural"picnics and butts that wally world by me have started to sell say "enhanced with up to an 8% solution" it is clearly labeled on the cryovac. i didn't notice it when i got A picnic roast the other day. stupid me thought all natural meant just that. i ended up not using it anyway because i took it out of the cryovac and after 45 minutes it still smelled like rotten eggs even after washing it with cold water 5 times.

Could it be Hormel Natural Choice that you're referring to?

All I can recall seeing around here is Hormel Always Tender, which I won't buy because it's enhanced. I use Farmland All Natural but now I see that the company's come out with a new Simply Natural Line that's somewhat different. I'll have to watch for it, and next time I'm in the store I'm going to check an All Natural label for the presence of any added solution.

Brad

well not the replies I was hoping for....but I will let you know exactly what I am getting on Thursday when I pick them up.

my apologies to you and hormel. i was at wally world and took a look. it is "Tyson 100% all natural" that they are selling. how can it be 100% all natural when just above that it read"enhanced with up to an 8% solution"

All the Tyson pork products i see at my local walmart are "enhanced".
I don't buy them. Does enhanced make them last longer or what? why do they do this?
Jerry P

fwiw - i used the tyson butts and ribs from walmart, they grilled up fine... whether or not they are enhanced or not they still tasted great...

There are some threads around here about what/why meat is enhanced (that is how I knew to be on the look out) but it has something to do with today's pig being leaner so....

What is enhanced pork? Enhanced pork describes fresh pork that has been processed with a phosphate and water solution. The resulting product is usually juicier, more tender and more flavorful.

WEll the butcher didn't get the pork from his normal supplier, but rather had to go to a different distributor and ended having to buy 80lbs of butt to sell me 25lbs....According to him the box label mentioned no other ingredients and said "all natural" didn't say whether it was hormel or not.

Back