sous vide controller

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
so i broke down and finally bought a sous vide controller. I ordered the one from Auberins.

I've been doing poor mans sous vide for a couple years now, zip lock bags and a stock pot on the stove. Controlling the temps has always been a hassle though and I really wanted something I could set and forget (at least for a few hours).

I wanted to build one myself, but my harcore lack of time and motivation, combined with my lack of handiness kept me from doing so.

I noticed bbq-guru sells a unit that i could use with my digi-q to turn it into a sous vide controller, but the add-on is more than $100 and i'd still have to buy, or waterproof a probe for it. That's a ridiculous price IMO.

I ordered a foodsaver last week, but have yet to use it. I'm excited to do some pre-planned sous vide meals that all get finished on the grill.

Hopefully this will re-ignite some passions that have slowly been dwindling.

Well i guess you could send a mail to Jeff and get all info you need bout SV. He is the king! Cant help ya sorry...I still make my eggs done RANDOM
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well i guess you could send a mail to Jeff and get all info you need bout SV. He is the king! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I'd say king, but I've been using the auber for about a year now. Feel free to email me.

Hey Troy - can you point me to where on the BBQ Guru site they show the adapter you mention?

Couldn't find it and wanted to have a look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I noticed bbq-guru sells a unit that i could use with my digi-q to turn it into a sous vide controller, but the add-on is more than $100 and i'd still have to buy, or waterproof a probe for it. That's a ridiculous price IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Auber sv controller will work the other way too. I already have a stoker so if I try the mod, it'll be merely out of curiosity. You'd have to build a new probe and patch a blower to the dc power pack, but I'm thinking it would be cheap with parts from online.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I noticed bbq-guru sells a unit that i could use with my digi-q to turn it into a sous vide controller, but the add-on is more than $100 and i'd still have to buy, or waterproof a probe for it. That's a ridiculous price IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Auber sv controller will work the other way too. I already have a stoker so if I try the mod, it'll be merely out of curiosity. You'd have to build a new probe and patch a blower to the dc power pack, but I'm thinking it would be cheap with parts from online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I was thinking that too! I already have a guru, but if i was doing it all over again i'd be tempted to use the auber sous vide controller with a simple mod to hook it up to a smoker blower.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Hey Troy - can you point me to where on the BBQ Guru site they show the adapter you mention?

Couldn't find it and wanted to have a look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bbq guru 'raptor' it's marketed for electric smokers, but essentially its relay that uses the DC fan power as the means for switching an additional AC source.

Ahh, I see. Saw that awhile back - but didn't make the connection to sous vide application

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Ahh, I see. Saw that awhile back - but didn't make the connection to sous vide application

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me either at first, but i stumbled upon somehow.

So, if you need a guru and a raptor to run an electric heating element for sv, you might as well go with the Auber and worry about stoking later. You need the controller for sv, stoking an wsm is fun but not essential

Already have the Guru so it would be just adding the raptor to do the SV thing, else just getting the Auber.

I still think the Auber direction is best in the long run.

yeah i already have a digi Q DX with a 10cfm pit viper

i'm not a fan of dual purposing it really. it's a lot of wires, and it's smokey. and it has a home in my garage. plus by the time i get another probe that is submersible and get a raptor or build a relay to replace the fan, the cost is the same as the auber.

The auber is on its way, will be here monday.

I hope my rice cooker is big enough to sous vide 3 big porters - i might have to invest in a nesco roaster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I'm building this one, I'll post it in this thread (and probably my own attention seeking thread) when I finish.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/201...ulator-for-about-75/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like that one a lot. saw it a while back.
i'm not handy enough for it though.

definitely post your own thread, i want to see that thing in action!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I'm building this one, I'll post it in this thread (and probably my own attention seeking thread) when I finish.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/201...ulator-for-about-75/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like that one a lot. saw it a while back.
i'm not handy enough for it though.

definitely post your own thread, i want to see that thing in action! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm definitely handy enough and have the tools to build one.

Thing is, as far as design I really like the system that Jay put together better. I think it's a cleaner, more compact design that would fit the level of sous vide cooking/experimenting I would want to do.

Sure, not $75 but I'm not clamping on to a plastic container, etc.

If I do end up putting together a system, would probably do what Jay did at this point. I think it would have the capacity for what I would need to play with sous vide.

Anyway - off to play with some Momofuku style soft boiled eggs via ghetto method....

Well the point of that design is that one can clamp it to any container - a lexan plastic one like pictured, or a large stockpot, or a beer cooler.

Anyway I'm not super handy but it seems pretty straightforward. I chose this route as it provides circulation while the PID + steam table setup does not. According to anecdotal evidence (as posted in the massive eGullet sous vide thread) there's not a lot of functional difference in the results between the two setups.

Maybe I just thought the box as built looked sexy
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm building this one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice Dave! when you told me you ordered parts, I had no idea you we're building one. I liked that design and considered it myself, but I discovered the Auber and went that way instead. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished unit,

i did a single egg this afternoon. i ran it at 142 and left the egg for about 1.5 hours.

the yolk was perfect, but the white a bit runny.
next time i'll try to boil the eggs for a minute right after the sous vide bath.

Hey Dave neither did I pick up on that you were building one. Interested to see how you make out.

Going to be doing some ghetto SV eggs this week myself.

Slowly assembling all the parts for the Momofuku Ramen
icon_wink.gif

Back