sous vide controller

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the yolk was perfect, but the white a bit runny.
next time i'll try to boil the eggs for a minute right after the sous vide bath. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never been entirely satisfied with the low temp egg. Yes, the yolk is great, but the watery part of the white is a big downer. I'm planning on experimenting more with time and temp methods and there's a technique in Lucky Peach, that looks really interesting and requires you to crack the egg into a bag first.

Interesting comments about the eggs. Funny how the one in the Ramen photo in the book looks fine
icon_wink.gif

Looks like I'll have to play around a bit.

Jay are you talking about Arzak Egg method?

Arzak Egg

Looks pretty cool. Might try that instead if you guys weren't happy with the SV version.

what book?

i've been looking around for some good recipe spots.

my goal is to vacuum seal sous vide ready foods and just have my wife toss them in the bath at lunch.

i'll get home at 7 and grill them up to finish.

our schedule has been ridiculously tight lately, which results in a lot of taco bell and mcdonalds
icon_frown.gif

When I was talking about SV eggs I was referring to Momofuku book by David Chang/Peter Meehan

Photo on page 39.

I'm working on all the stuff to put that recipe together. Almost there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looks pretty cool. Might try that instead if you guys weren't happy with the SV version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, that's the one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> my goal is to vacuum seal sous vide ready foods and just have my wife toss them in the bath at lunch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're going to find out you can do a ton more then that. I like to make packs of wings, confit them (175* for 8-10 hrs) and then freeze them. They defrost fine, and grill up (or bake) to perfection in minutes.

Hunks of pork butt can be cooked the same way. A little prep work, and you turned it into a quick weekday meal.

that sounds really awesome.

i originally got the foodsaver just for ribs and pulled pork.

my wife loves ribs, so i figured i'd smoke extras and freeze them.

same with pulled pork. plus people always ask me to bring pulled pork to parties and events and they always ask last minute.

i'm already facing rice cooker challenges. turns out my wife can't cook rice while i'm cooking sous vide.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've never been entirely satisfied with the low temp egg. Yes, the yolk is great, but the watery part of the white is a big downer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed! Sunday I pasteurized a half dozen for mayo (@135/1hr). Then went up to 143 and did another four for one hour, chilled and re-fridge. Came close this morning by bringing a small pot of water to a boil, remove from heat, wait a min or two, placing the egg in (had been out of the fridge for a little while to take the chill off) and just left it until I was ready to eat, maybe twenty min. White was still mostly creamy and he yolk fantastic: However trying to get they think out of the shell was a nightmare! I've two more to go from Sunday batch but honestly it's turning into a lot of work for this "perfect egg".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but honestly it's turning into a lot of work for this "perfect egg". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you check out the link above? I can't see how that wouldn't produce ideal results

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i'm already facing rice cooker challenges. turns out my wife can't cook rice while i'm cooking sous vide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you looked into the food warmer? at under $100, you get capacity to cook just about anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't see how that wouldn't produce ideal results </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great idea!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

Have you looked into the food warmer? at under $100, you get capacity to cook just about anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!! Farm and Fleet (local farm supply store) occasionally has a nesco like roaster on sale for $15 (normally 40)
Next time it goes on sale, i will buy one.

Frankly I like the warmer that Jay bought.

As far as the controller. Although I like the portability of the unit Dave is building I think the need to clamp on the edge might get in the way if you are using smaller vessels. I do like the flexibility of clamp on though.

I'm pretty much all prepped to do a full on all home made Momofuku Ramen for 5 this Friday, maybe tomorrow depending on when I get back from VA.

I've stuck to the recipes/methods for all the ingredients as written this round. Didn't add smoke, etc. Made the belly and shoulder in the oven. Turned out great. They both have their flavors that I can tell will blend well with the whole deal (stock/tare, other elements).

I plan of course to experiment lots next round. Wanted a baseline first.

One change though - I'm going to definitely go to the Arzak egg method and use that after hearing the responses here regarding the SV eggs.

Probably play with an egg or two today to check it out. Going to make the dough tonight for the Ramen and let it sit in the fridge. I've experimented with that previous and worked fine.

Might even go all the way and make my own steam buns. Use half the dough recipe and just freeze the other half of the dough. We'll see - otherwise get frozen at H-Mart, but wheres the fun in that
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Arzak egg method </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, I just did two eggs this morning and they were near perfect. I'd of liked the whites to have been a little softer but had they been I don't think the egg would of held together. Pretty delicate little bundles as it was!
Sorry to be OT.

"staying with the 4 min 20 sec??
That's what I did this AM. Brought the water up to a rolling boil, turned the burner (electric coil) to off, waited for the bubbles to slow to that of club soda, dropped them in. Since I had a 3 qt pot full of water for just the two eggs I didn't bother to turn the burner back on to warm to maintain. Going to give it another go tomorrow but if one wants complete repeatably I'm sure that the starting temp of the egg is most important.
This attempt I pulled from the fridge and placed them in a measuring cup with hot tap water for about half an hour before cooking just to take the chill off.
Second attempt: Started with the egg right from the fridge... won't do that again.

Finished my build tonight, preliminary tests indicate it was successful. I'll try to get some photos but it pretty much looks like the one that the guy from the SeattleFoodGeek blog built except not as polished.

So the egg is delicious but I see what you guys are saying about the white being a bit of a non-element. It's just watery and doesn't have any substance really. The yolk, though. Holy cow.

@ Marc re: getting it out of the shell I was able to just pull a hole in the shell about an inch across on the wide part of the bottom, break the membrane, and shake the contents out of the shell. I can see why this might be more difficult with a white that's more set like you describe.

Back