Minion Method preference......

First of all, I use the Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Grill for my barbecuing.

With that said, I fill the small side of the grill with charcoal. I fill half full, scatter some wood chips, then fill the rest of the way and scatter some more chips (wood chunks work, also). I remove six briquettes from the stack, place them in the chimney. When they are started I put them on top of the unlit charcoal pile distributed across the top. When it starts smoking, I begin.

Dale53

Very few fully lit coals to start with. That way I can better control the temperature coming up and catch it at the target. If I have a lot of coals already lit then I find it's harder to slow it down as it gets close to my target.

Russ

My usual start is 20 lit. When I dump them, the top few are just catching. Most are hot enough. The way my smoker reacts, I leave the bottom vents 100% open until I get to 200, then close by 50% and go from there.

I use lump so I don't know the number of pieces I use but I don't use more than half of the starter. When I see flames coming out of the lump I give if about another two mins and dump. The top coals are normally only half lit.

I usually start with 10-15 lit coals in warmer weather or when I'm looking for about 225-250 degrees. Use about 25-30 when it's below freezing or when cooking HH.

I also use my kettle. I make a half ring or shorter circle. I light 6 briquettes and once the start turning gray I throw them on at one end of the half circle.

Thanks for the responses. I'm probably most like Chuck here. I use lump, usually about a half chimney or a little more. But a fair amount is still almost completely black when I dump it, while some of the bottom coals are white hot. I just make sure those get spread around the ring.

I was wondering if I was using "too much" and not letting it get hot enough. 6 one way, half dozen the other, I guess.

Back