1st Smoke....? on BRITU recipe

SteveF

In this recipe:http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html It states under the heading "Fire Up The Cooker" :Close all three bottom vents, but set the top vent fully open and leave it that way during the entire cooking process. Then in the very next heading "Cooking Process Described" it states: During the first three hours, adjust the bottom vents to maintain a cooker temperature of 225°F. Soooooo.......Do I leave the bottom vents closed or adjust them for a lid temp. of 225?????

Steve the instructions were given that way so you could fire up your cooker and as the temp settled in at your desired level you can then adjust your bottom vents to maintain your temp. Leave your top vent open. As you are cooking you will see it is easier than it sounds. Good luck with your BRITU ribs and let us know how you did. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks guys. Almost 2 hours into it and temps are holding steady at around 230. Thats with the bottom vents closed and the top fully open.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveF:
Thanks guys. Almost 2 hours into it and temps are holding steady at around 230. Thats with the bottom vents closed and the top fully open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your door might need a little reshaping to get a better seal, or you might have a little gapping in the fit of the top/middle/lid sections. Also, keep in mind that direct sunshine and wind direction/proximity to the "unintended" vent locations are things that can keep temps a little higher as well. If the wind changes and starts to blow AWAY from where ever your cooker is getting air, you should see the temps go down...and you'll need to open a vent a bit to keep the fire from going out.

The worst thing about charcoal is how slow it is to get the temp to go back DOWN to where you want it. It's much easier to catch temps coming up by shutting the vents back when you're 30-50 degrees shy of where you want to be cooking at.

When you're not cooking, and there's little wind and lots of light, you can toss in more wood for a little extra smoke and look for leaks.

My first smoke went well. I figure once the WSM is seasoned it will have less air leaks and hold temp better. I noticed when I was warming the smoker up and put the lid on that smoke came out from around the lid mounted thermometer. I was impressed with how easily it was to adjust the temps. Only thing I would do different is to use just a little less rub. Certain "spots" were a little bit salty. The little woman was snarling her nose up at some of the ingredients when we were preparing the rub and sauce but woofed them down like a starving dog once they were done.

Dave, I'll check for air gaps at night with a light source inside the smoker and see if I cant eliminate some of them. It's been about 3 hours since I took the ribs off and closed all the vents and the lid temp is reading 150 but it is in the evening sunshine with an ambient temp of 66. Just a note: It was 22 degrees here when I started preparing the rub at 7:00AM this morning so it warmed up nicely
icon_smile.gif

A great day for
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveF:
My first smoke went well. I figure once the WSM is seasoned it will have less air leaks and hold temp better. I noticed when I was warming the smoker up and put the lid on that smoke came out from around the lid mounted thermometer. I was impressed with how easily it was to adjust the temps. Only thing I would do different is to use just a little less rub. Certain "spots" were a little bit salty. The little woman was snarling her nose up at some of the ingredients when we were preparing the rub and sauce but woofed them down like a starving dog once they were done.

Dave, I'll check for air gaps at night with a light source inside the smoker and see if I cant eliminate some of them. It's been about 3 hours since I took the ribs off and closed all the vents and the lid temp is reading 150 but it is in the evening sunshine with an ambient temp of 66. Just a note: It was 22 degrees here when I started preparing the rub at 7:00AM this morning so it warmed up nicely
icon_smile.gif

A great day for
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There ya go. A light in the dark is a good idea, and yeah, it ought to do better for you next time with some "seasoning". Get you a brass bristle brush to hit the "high spots", and that's really about all the cleaning you need to do on any regular basis. Always be sure to hit the inside of the dome between cooks so you won't get any "flaking" on your meat. I forgot this recently and had to clean some little black flecks off a slab of ribs while nobody was watching.

Back