What are your Favorite Ribs to cook on the WSM?

Jeff Calhoun

TVWBB Fan
For some reason I've only cooked Baby Backs on the WSM and would like to try something different.

BBQ is not huge in my area but the last time I had spares at a restaurant they were very fatty. I like beef ribs but there's not typically a lot of meat on the bones.

From the discussion here, I'm assuming Spares are the most popular. What are your favorite ribs to cook on the WSM?

Baby Backs all the way for for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm partial to the St. Louis style, they just take a little is all. Just did some for a pot luck for our bowling league. They're gonners now...

sides here ... I pull the membrane, trim the skirts and trim excessive fat from the front and scrape excess fat off the back side ... I love the flavor and tooth of the meat

next I like good size back ribs

Definately spares! I often like the tips off them better than the ribs.

I like them better for flavor and a meatiness and even value. They do take a little longer but they are worth it.

My local butcher has them this week for $1.59/lb!!! picking up six racks tommorow!!!

I like them all but to me spares are more bang for the $. I take all the trimmings from the spares and grind the meat. That makes the best fatties imho.

Anybody ever make country style ribs? I see them on sale all the time, but have never tried them on the WSM or anywhere else.

Babybacks are the crowd pleaser in my family, but I like all the extras you get from trimming/cooking the St. Louis spares.

S. Fink, I've tried country style many times. I usually grill them on the kettle instead of the wsm though. They turn out nice but very different from traditional ribs. They are just pieces of bone in pork shoulder.

Clark

I started out as a BB guy, but now am partial to St. Louis style spares. More forgiving cook, more meat, richer flavor....all around better I think...but they are both mighty fine.

Back