Costco Meats

Wayne E.

TVWBB Member
I'm new to bbq/smoking and I have a new wsm 18.5 that I'm doing a few mods to before putting it into service.

I have been reading forum posts and the low and slow book. I noticed costco is mentioned fairly regularly on the forum, and since my wife and I are long time costco members I'm wondering what type of meats you all purchase from there for your bbq?

I have to make the monthly costco run this coming week so maybe I'll check out what they have.

Thanks

Babybacks,Spares, Briskits, and pork butts. Way better quality than Sams club but more expensive as well. I've never been dissapointed with anything so far, Ken

we mostly get our meat from costco. wife won't eat anything else. you should look for a smart and final or it might be cash and carry in yer area, its where i get my ribs and brisket.

My brother clued me in about Costco. He is a member and often buys meat there. He is extremely particular, so he looks at the steaks (as a for instance) before he takes them home. Some times he passes them up. I have had him pick up steaks for me (choice rib steaks) and I have NOT been disappointed.

Dale53

I buy most of mine from one of two local butcher shops. I will occasionally buy meat from Costco or even Sams Club, but the Choice meats from the warehouse clubs tend to be rather bland & grain-fed - including Costco.

Good quality, yes. Anything to write home about? Not really. The problem is that meat from elsewhere gets pricey.

From what I've read on this and other boards, the types of meats must vary from store to store. At "my" Costco in Delaware, all the butts are boneless (which is a deal breaker for me) and I have yet to see a brisket on display. They seem to have good whole ribs and baby backs though. They have plenty of other meats, but that's it for any of the traditional bbq beef or pork. The only place I have seen whole brisket is Wal-Mart and if I'm looking for good pork butts, Food Lion has a good selection. I was in Sam's Club a week ago and they had brisket flats, ribs and while not on display, they said they had Boston butts. And just to add to the confusion, BJ's has a decent selection as well from what I've seen, but it was mostly just pork.

I agree with Tom, between home and work I visit three Costco's and the selection is different at each store. My advice is knock on the window and talk to the butcher, the full packers may not be out but they have them in back. Same with tri-tip and some of the other large roasts. If you are lucky they will bring out a whole case for you to pick through.

IMO Sams has better BBQ selection and Costco has better grilling meat.

The best thing at Costco are their ribs, they are pretty darn good. Just buy them on Friday because by Sunday they seem to be thinned out in quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph S:
I buy most of mine from one of two local butcher shops. I will occasionally buy meat from Costco or even Sams Club, but the Choice meats from the warehouse clubs tend to be rather bland & grain-fed - including Costco.

Good quality, yes. Anything to write home about? Not really. The problem is that meat from elsewhere gets pricey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ralph,

Are you picking your meat up at Midwestern Meats? I've been curious about them.

Can't speak for Washington State, but here in NJ, Costco is great for ribs (backs and spares), pork roasts and very rarely butts. Never once seen a full-packer brisket, but a few flats show up on occasion. Steaks and chops are quite awesome, however. They even sell USDA prime steaks on occasion.

I try to buy all my meat from Costco. It is cheaper than the grocery and no comparison in quality. I especially like their 2" sirloin at $4 something a pound. Very tender and flavorful. Just had tri-tips this weekend for the first time. Loved them to.

Southern California Costco -
Good selection of choice Tri-tips. Sliced 1.5 inch Also available in cryovac pacs(5-8)
Brisket Packers - none
Brisket Flats - well trimmed flats. Also available in single cryovac pac(untrimmed). Larger Costco's seem to have a larger selection of flats.
Pork Butt- Boneless, 2 in a pack.
Spareribs - 2 per pack
Baby Backs - 3 per pack
Whole California Chickens - 2 per pack
Boneless Short Ribs - sliced 1" also available Cryovac
Whole boneless Ribeyb Cryovac
Some stores carry prime steaks.

Back