Transporting the WSM

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
What is the best way to transport the WSM in the bed of a PU truck. I have a Chevy S-10. I am afraid to try to do it standing up fully assembled
as I might lose it in a turn. I was thinking of using bungee cords from the top handle to the legs
to hold it together and laying it down. Any professional movers out there??? Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We take a rope and tie the WSM together, run the rope through the handles, down around the legs, and then bungee it in the back of the truck, upright.

minion1.jpg

I like the Minion method.

I'd be interested others answers, too, as I'll have to drag mine to a cooking class in a couple of weeks.

Darren

Raine,
How do you bungee it in the truck?Where do you put the bungees?

Looks as though I may have hit upon a question that a lot of people had wanted to ask. Hope we arrive at some solutions!!

Those Webers traveled 10,000 miles that way in 2000. We throw a canvas cover over them and tie it off to the motorhome. Works very well, when we travel with the pickup we bungee, throw the covers on them, and tie them off to pickup bed to keep them from rolling around.
Jim

He has those little hook things that fit into the bed of the truck also where you would put rack posts for carrying ladders etc. He loops them through there and runs the bungee from one side to the other or attaches it down on the bumper. Mainly just where ever he can fasten it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

This is an old thread but I have a question. Does the enamel on the edges chip off when hauling it assembled with bungees? Has anyone used a plastic barrel and set the WSM inside. I have thought about using a barrel strapped to my hitch-haul that mounts in the receiver hitch of my truck.

Any other ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

George

George, I've never lost any enamel and I've transported then standing up and on their side. I always make sure there is no metal to metal friction points (or emamel to metal where they could chip.
They travel really well!!

hope that helps

Tom: I see you have a Milwaukee location. I would suppose you will be watching some basketball Thursday. I am hauling my WSM up to my son's house near Appleton for some beer chicken on Friday for the Badger game. Hopefully both teams will be playing Saturday and Sunday.

George

I use plastic trash cans when hauling my two, they are the Rubbermaid ones from Home Depot that you find in the lawn and garden section. I also have a S-10, and I ratchet strap them down tight to the back of the cab then put a bungee cord through the lid handle and hook it to the handles on the trash can. The ratchet strap attaches to the hooks that are in the four corners of the bed.

Hi George, Welcome to the forum!! good to more wisconsin representation in the forum. I will be pulling for both teams though I think UW-Milwaukee is going to have some tough going in its matchup with the Iliini.

Should be fun to watch though as UWM is really excited to be at the dance!!

What is the name of that great little restraunt in Sauk city that has the killer pies and good food? Its on a corner by the river. I think itmight be at water and 12 if I'm not mistaken??

I use the Large gray plastic trash cans (Rubbermaid at home depot). It works very well.

Back