Favorite slaw recipe

G

I plan to take my first stab at Mr. Brown's this year for the 2nd annual WSM Smoke Day.

Just curious if any of you have a favorite slaw recipe you would be willing to share. I found one that looks good on FoodNetwork (an emeril recipe).

Just looking for ideas, I'm sure most cole slaw will go well with the "Renowned Mr. Brown."

Thanks for your input!

Mark

I don't have the recipe handy, but for pulled pork that both me and the wife enjoys a lot, we like Raichlen's "Haitian Slaw" from the Barbecue Bible. That along with Paul Kirk's JD sauce on a freshly baked kaiser is a winner with my family and co-workers. Spicy, but awesome.

Although I don't have the quantities handy, I get good reviews from friends and family on this slaw:

1. Red and Green Cabbage - sliced thinly on a mandolin for consistent thickness (avoids the unpleasant thick piece you may run into if sliced by hand
icon_biggrin.gif

2. Mayo
3. Red wine vinegar
4. Celery Seeds
5. Salt
6. Sugar
7. Crushed Pineapple (add some of the juice)
8. Crushed bacon

The mixture of sweet, salty and vinegar really make this recipe stand out (IMO)
icon_razz.gif

We've tried several but always come back to this one..

Posted by Salmon on December 10, 2002 at 08:46:32: Cole Slaw
In Reply to: Need your best Cole Slaw Recipe posted by Jason on December 10, 2002 at 00:25:35:
Here is one that I use all the time. I got it from Bubba-Q who got it from Grizz.
1 cup Mayo (real Mayo)
1 cup miracle whip
3/4 cup white cane sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon poppy seed
Mix well with whisk... add to 3 pounds of slaw mix, I however use it for 4 pounds.
Rick
The BBQ Forum Copyright © 2002

After many years of exhuastive research I've come to the conclusion that you can't do better than this:

Smokin’ Chipotle Slaw

3 cups shredded white cabbage
3 cups shredded red cabbage
¾ cup Sweet Chipotle Dressing

Sweet Chipotle Dressing

1 tblsp diced onion
1 tblsp chopped garlic
2 tblsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp ground cumin
½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
2 tblsp chopped cilantro
2/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp honey
1 or 2 tblsp pureed canned chipotle en adobo – adjust to your heat preference
½ cup canola oil

Put all the ingredients except oil in a blender or food processor and blend until very smooth. Slowly add the oil in a thin stream with the blender running until the oil is incorporated and the vinaigrette is completely emulsified.

This dressing is also excellent mixed in with salsa or on other salads.

This is my favorite sandwich slaw - might be yours too if you like pepper! I got it from bbq.about.com and people rave about it every time I serve it. I multiply it by 4 (1/2 a good size head of cabbage = about 8 cups, so...) and I cut the pepper a bit (using 2 - 3 tsp for a 4X batch) but it's still got some bite. It's a bit vinegary too and it goes great with most finishing sauces for pork (or anything else for that matter).

2 cups shredded cabbage
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least an hour. Place a generous portion on each pulled pork sandwich.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to trying these.
Hopefully my first attempt at Mr. Brown will be a success!

A favortite around our house is a simple vinegar based slaw.

1 bag of prepared cole slaw (chop, slice, grind your own cabbage, but this is one thing I've become quite lazy about)

1/3 - 1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1/4 cup of veggie oil of your choice
1/2 cup (or so) of white sugar
1/2 TBS of salt
Black pepper to taste ( I use about 1.5 teaspoons I guess)

Works best to disolve sugar in the vinegar first, I usually do it in stages, add rest of ingredients, pour over cabbage. Its best if it can sit for about 30 minutes prior to serving. You may have the adjust the sugar up or down to adjust to your level of tartness. Throw in some pork rub to give a little color if you'd like. I've also been experimenting w/ cardamon in there too.

This same "dressing" goes well with other veggies too, chilled beans, cucumbers, jicama, even pulled pork.

One thing about that peppery slaw recipe, I understand the Mr Brown recipe is heavy on the pepper too (never made it myself), might want to consider that.

My rendition of the Creamy Coleslaw from Smoke 'n' Spice is the only one that gets made in my house:

1 Med head green cabbage
2 Med carrots peeled
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sugar
6 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Tsp salt
2 grinds fresh black pepper

1. Cut cabbage into quarters (or whatever size will fit into the feed chute of your cuisinart), remove core, shred using the grating attachment on your food processor.

2. Shred carrots in food processor.

3. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl large enough to accomodate the cabbage and carrots, and stir together thoroughly.

4. Add shredded cabbage and carrots and stir to combine.

5. This is best made at least four hours ahead to allow time for the flavors to come together and for the salt to pull some moisture out of the cabbage. For best results, make the day before you plan to serve it.

Enjoy!

Rich

Originally posted by calle:
I don't have the recipe handy, but for pulled pork that both me and the wife enjoys a lot, we like Raichlen's "Haitian Slaw" from the Barbecue Bible. That along with Paul Kirk's JD sauce on a freshly baked kaiser is a winner with my family and co-workers. Spicy, but awesome.
Hi Calle
Is Pauls JD sauce from a bottle or is it a recipe ?
If it`s the latter, would ya care to share ?

Back