mandolin help

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
are all mandolins in the 40 dollar range created equal? or can you reccomend one that you really like. I like the idea of having a dial to adjust thickness of cuts. Seems that some models come with blades that interchange. that could be a pain in the behind. thanks

Actually, the interchangeable blade mandolins can be quite good and not a pain at all. I have a German V-slicer and a Japanese diagonal and use them regularly.

This one by Cuisinart is a pain in the tush... but I haven't replaced it yet...
icon_frown.gif

I bought a german plastic one at a home show 10 years ago and it still works well. It is a V slicer with changeble slicers and dicers. I can tell it is not as sharp anymore, but it still slices onions thinner than I can with a knife.

I've had better luck with the expensive metal ones. I'm not into the julienee just slicing.

I did find a couple little plastic ones at the state fair that are non adjustable with ceramic blades and they work great for cucumbers, carrots and stuff like that.

I use mine for making pickles and slicing potatoes for baking an casserole. Use the chef's knife for everything else cuz I hate the cleanup on the mandolin

I find the opposite: rinse well, wipe dry, done. Since the parts easily slide out it takes, what, all of 60 seconds? No having to dial the knob to the widest setting and dig out the crammed-in little bits of potato or bacon or whatever was sliced. Since a V-slicer (in particular) comes apart so readily there is no place for bits of food to hide.

I have two expensive S/S mandolins but I don't use them as often. And, since I cook all over, I travel with the German V (this one) and a Japanese turning slicer because they're lighter and quicker to clean. They're the nut when cooking for 20 or 30 people by oneself.

I bought a Borner like the one Kevin uses several years ago. It was a lot less than $40. It works well and like Kevin says; just break it down and rinse. I wouldn't invest in anything much more expensive.

Paul

...and ding-a-ling-dumb-dope me did not read reviews before I bought it.
Saw the name on it and "trusted" it.
Even tried selling it on CL after one use for 1/2 the price and NO takers.
THOSE people DID read the reviews
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Paul K:
I bought a Borner like the one Kevin uses several years ago. It was a lot less than $40. It works well and like Kevin says; just break it down and rinse. I wouldn't invest in anything much more expensive.

Paul

Borner is the way to go. We have a knock-off plastic mandolin that doesn't work nearly as well as our State Fair slicer.

Make sure you stay away from the Pampered Chef Mandoline. We have never been able to use it as a slicer, just grater. Also the plastic stains.

well, i'm BUMPIN' up this thread cuz i broke my plastic mandoline last week or so... and i MISS having one...
gonna look at the Borner that Kevin and Jim talk and rave about... hellsbellsboys, i'll spend ahundred bucks if the dangthing works good and DON'T brake!

I have a Kitchen Aid that I bought new that I really like. But do use the guard. It is sharp! I didn't know the extremities could bleed so bad.

Back