mandolin help

I got Kevin's recommended v slicer ------ JUNK!!! I'll take my old fashioned santokou or chef's knife anyday... or maybe a processor, but the mandoline just doesn't work for me.

it's awkward. I thought I'd be able to slide things front/back to slice/slice/slice but it grabs on the way back so I have to re-arrange every time. It might just be me but I'm faster with a knife. I am still considering a food processor.

I have a Borner as well, not the same as Kevin's, but a bit more fancy model with stainless steel parts here and there. The cutting mecanism is the same on both. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QEWRBG/?tag=TVWB-20
I have worn out one of the plastic varieties, using it a lot for many years. I have no problems with my mandolin. Use a steady hand, be sure thet the plate thickness plate is clicked/locked into place, and you should have no problems at all.
Maybe there is something wrong with your unit?

THIS is the very same one I bought last month and have used it three times now without a problem.
it's simple and works very well for what I'm slicing.
Perhaps there is something wrong with yours, Clint.

I've only used it a couple of times trying to make fries, can't remember what else I've ran through it but not much. I thought it'd be good for salsa so I still plan on trying that.

I have a stack of placemat sized cutting boards (thin plastic sheets) that I pull out & use on my counter or built in cutting board...easy to clean, & it just works for me. I'm sure the unit isn't defective. Everything fits nicely, I can see how it works. I've even tried to cube using the wider teeth & slicing perpendicular to the way they'd run...

Maybe they're just not made for potatos. I really have no idea on how to use it. Maybe I should watch a youtube video or two.

You'll have to apply quite a bit of force to cut potatoes. They somehow seem to "suck on" to the plastic. I do not know why. Unions are much easier to cut.

Clint. You might be interested in a french fry cutter.
31RN5ZRSSML._SS400_.jpg

There are heavier and more expensive ones out there but this was only about $15.00 @ BB&B and it works great. The only thing is if you have some really large taters you need to square up the edges.
I have that same Cuisinart linked up-thread and that is a pain to use on fries.

Tim

Last edited:
I've had that exact same one Tim for ~5-6 years. I've ran carrots (dip in hummus), cukes, halved potatoes..... it works pretty good.

I use this one from Sharper Image......here's the utube for it........easy to clean, adjustable, stays sharp, easy to use, fast, etc. etc....cheap, but I don't use them a whole lot, as if I'm only do a few things, I use the knife.............d

I've had that exact same one Tim for ~5-6 years. I've ran carrots (dip in hummus), cukes, halved potatoes..... it works pretty good.

Cool. Have you tried it on sweet potatoes for fries?
I did and bent the handle, I didn't know they were that tuff..

Tim

Not sure.... I've been using it for carrots lately & that's about it lol (I tend to chop my fries coarsely & cook right on the grate)... I bent my handle just a little but it hasn't been a problem at all, I saw it flexing before any damage was done...def not the heaviest duty but it does the job.

We have a nice stainless one we almost never use, heavy and clunky. Im very happy with our OXO good grips one, and it was in that 40$ range

Back