Tri tip rub question

I can't say I remember
icon_wink.gif

I have been making it for so long in 4x quantities I forgot how far one recipe goes. My family likes it on more than tri-tips. The only thing I have done is really cut down on the amount of salt. I would make up one recipe, and use what you think is right.

Sorry I couldn't give you more of a direct answer.

Rick

I have been using 1T of kosher salt for the last several months. For my last batch, we scaled back a bit more to 3/4T.

The lower amount of salt allows me to be a bit heavier on the application. My family likes the heavy garlic flavor, enhanced by the pepper and parsley.

I also apply the rub about an hour before cooking. That gives some time to extract some of the juices from the roast, allowing for a nice crust during the cook.

Gotcha, thanks. I just finished cooking two tris on the WSM and did cut back on the salt significantly. Came out very nice. Could have used more garlic and pepper. Next time. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Dave/G:
Is Chris A's tri tip rub recipe in the cooking section for one or two tri tips?
I think I'm shown cooking two tri-tips in that article, so it's at least enough for two or three.

Chris

good call on the salt dave. (to me anyway) I made it w/ less and still felt it was a bit salty, etc. like you were suspicious of. I don't mean its bad, just was a bit for me thats all.

You can skip the salt in the rub and apply it separately first. This allows you to apply as much or as little rub as you like without affecting the salt level since it's already applied.(I do this with all rubs.)

Try a SM-style rub for tri with fresh parsley. Makes a big difference. If you want more garlic add more, or, alternatively, leave the granulated garlic amount as is but also add a couple cloves of minced fresh garlic. Take the minced garlic and add it to the parsley leaves before you mince them and mince all together, add the rest of the ingredients (a little Worce powder is good here --just a bit) and apply over the salted tri.

Back