Balsamic Grilled Vegetables

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
Gonna do up some standard balsamic grill veggies for a bbq in a bit. I have made these a few times lately and they always turn out great. I use my 22.5" kettle and fill a chimney and dump it to one side so I can sear on one side and get them to the other side to finish, or just out of the way for a minute while I shuffle them around. Will be using summer squash, zucchini, onion, red bell pepper, asparagus and sweet potatoes. I have also used the same marinade on chicken breast to go with it in the past and it turns out great (had it with steak from others and that worked well too). Best part is that it does not need to be hot off the grill to be good, it tastes good warm or at room temp, so it travels well.

The recipe is super simple:
- 1-part olive oil
- 1-part balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste

Just mix the oil and vinegar, cut your vegetables into grilling friendly sizes/shapes, brush both sides with the oil/vinegar mix, season to taste, then grill away! I you do chicken then marinate it while you prep your veggies.

I also found that if you use a baking sheet to bring them out to the grill, and you use the same one to bring them in (don't do this if you have chicken on it of course!) then they get re-seasoned with the excess oil and vinegar...score one for laziness!

Will post pics later on.

This is also great as a meal by itself. My wife and I will have grilled vegetables with a single grilled chicken sausage from Costco for dinner. It is great if you are doing Weight Watchers. Great flavor and very filling. If I get hungry latter then the leftover grilled vegetables are great either hot, warm, or cold. Your marinade sounds good and I will have to try it. We normally just put olive oil on the veggies but this sounds better. You should post the pictures, they will look great.

Here are the pics.

Very simple prep:

I like to do the sweet potatoes and onions first then put them to the side so they get a little extra cooking time:

Here are the rest:

And the finished product:

Looks great. I will definitely give this a try. Have used a lot of balsamic reductions but have never tried applying it before grilling. Interested to see how it will taste.

McCormick makes an excellent Vegetable seasoning with no added salt. It's sold here under the name Club House laGrille
Vegetable Seasoning. It's awesome with a drizzle of oil, balsamic or soya or any combination of these. Italian Seasoning on vegetables drizzled with oil and or garlic powder is also really great fired hot over the coals.

Back