question on meat slicer

I went to amazon and found the EdgeCraft 610 Chef's Choice Premium Electric Food Slicer. I believe this is the one that i might get. But when you go to this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002AKCOC/tvwb-20

It says that there is a newer model available: Chef's Choice 609 Premium Electric Food Slicer

So is the 609 newer than the 610? Seems kind of odd.

I believe the 609 might use more plastic than the 610 but i'm not sure. Would you still go with the 610 over the 609? Also is there a huge learning curve on these things? I have never used one in my life.

My in-laws gave me one like that 20 years ago. The blade is too small to be very useful! Now I have one with a 10 inch blade that slices frozen meat with ease (I slice raw frozen meat for jerky) and personally think what you are looking at is a waste of money. The best "trick" I know is to spray the surfaces you want the meat to slide on with a very light coat of PAM cooking spray

I have the 609, and you can't beat it for the price (I think I paid about $80). I wouldn't open a deli with one, but it works well for the bacon and lunchmeats that I make. When you read reviews on Amazon, you can tell the people that have figured it out from the people that push too hard.

Big Mike - I'm in same boat - I think - as you. Looking for something relatively inexpensive and concerned about not being able to do what I need to do - which will simply be slicing occasional bacon and lunchmeats. I appreciate the insights that Dan, Jon and Jim have provided - sounds like to occasional use the model will be just fine.

Back