iGrill - returning it

I got an iGrill from my wife for my birthday. I really wanted one and she syrprosed me. OK, maybe it was the email saying I wanted one and giving a link to the website - can't be sure. BUT, it just doesn't work. I mean by that it doesn't have anything like the advertized range.

I live in a downtown house, and my smoker is on my back deck. My office is in the front of the house, max 60', and it doesn't pick u p the signal. Gonna take it back unless someone tells me I'm doing something wrong. But it connects when close, then gives up the signal way closer then ti should. I am *very* disappointed.

:(

200' advertised range for Bluetooth/iGrill would be with no obstructions. Going through a house/walls, distance will be much less. How many walls from your office to the back porch?

200' advertised range for Bluetooth/iGrill would be with no obstructions. Going through a house/walls, distance will be much less. How many walls from your office to the back porch?

Well, sure there are a bunch. But what good is 200' if it has to be without walls! That's useless unless I'm just going over to my neighbour for a beer! :confused:

The iGrill intrigues me.

I'd return it because it's not going to meet your needs.

60' through walls will be a task for any of the remote thermometers.

Does it automatically reconnect when you get back in range? If not, that would be a dealbreaker. I could still see the value if it kept me inside on a miserable winter day.

It's been my experience that "your mileage may vary" when it comes to advertised range on any wireless device. My house is wrapped in "chicken wire" and stuccoed, and I'm firmly convinced that affects the units I've tried over the years. It probably depends on the construction of your home, how many walls, what's in the walls, and who knows what other factors that affect reception.

Regards,
Chris

After posting, I looked at the FAQ on the iGrill website.

In order to test the effective range of the Bluetooth connection for your device, connect your Apple device to the iGrill and walk in a straight line away from the iGrill, making sure there is nothing physical separating the connection between you and the iGrill, such as walls or the floors of your home. The physical structures will often interfere with the strength of the Bluetooth connection for any device. If you are still unsatisfied with the range you're experiencing with your iGrill, you can also try inserting a fresh set of batteries and testing again. If your problem has still not been resolved, please contact our Customer Support team for a prompt response.

So when it says "monitor your food from up to 200 feet away", that's 200' without any obstructions.

Regards,
Chris

Have you tried replacing the batteries? Bluetooth range correlates to battery life as well.

Yep, Chris, I looked at the FAQ and it was not promising, but I will change the batteries and try. My maverick works OK except in my office because of all the electronics there. Anyway, waddya gonna do, eh?

I definitely find mine works best with very fresh batteries. My house eats signal and it gets about half way through the house which is actually much better than any other wireless thermometer I've tried - much better than my Maverick. That's enough for my purposes but it's probably 40-50 feet in a straight line.

I've actually used the iPhone's AirPlay feature to pump the picture from my phone to the TV in the living room so I can see the temps in there.

Mike:

Sorry to hear you had problems with yours. I got one a few weeks back and used it in my WSM for Thanksgiving. It's worked perfectly so far, going through one exterior wall. My only issue is that I have only been able to pair it with my iPad. For some reason, I can't get it to pair with my iPhone. I have the new iPhone, but both devices are running iOS 6, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Doug: I like the idea of streaming to the TV with AirPlay. Hadn't thought of that. Now, I just need to get that to work with PiP, so the game viewing won't be distrupted during cooking. :)

Back