NEW METHOD FOR FIRING UP THE WSM - QUICKLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I would like to share some thoughts and experiences I have had during the past 3 weeks with regard to GETTING THE WSM TO TEMP QUICKLY and MAINTAINING A LONG CONSISTENT BURN TEMP.

Having worked for a large industrial bakery for the past 9 years I have been exposed to quite a bit of technology with regard to flame combustion and oven heating. Having recently purchased a WSM I naturally wanted to experiment with some of what I have learned in this regard.

Without going into a lot of theory I want to share the great experiences I have had:

1. Start by bringing a full chimney of Kingsford to the point of being coated with a light covering of ash - conventional method.

2. Fill the charcoal ring about half full, then by hand, stack the briquettes into a ring around the inner perimeter of the charcoal ring...this will bring the level of coal to the top of the ring resulting in a "hole" in the middle.

3. Next, pour the chimney of hot coal into the "hole" in the middle of the ring.

4. Add smoke wood, onion, garlic, etc...

5. Assemble (within minutes you will be @ 225' F).

6. Add meat & Cook.

Please try this.
The benefits of this method relative to other methods are that you can put the WSM together immeditately, and by closing the bottom vents to 50% and opening the top vent to 100% you can expect to be at temperature (225' F) within 10 minutes or so.

The primary principle behind this method is the "venturi" effect similar to that which is used to quickly bring a chimney of coal to temp.

By concentrating the heated coals in the middle of the ring together with proper vent control you are able to maintain a high enough concentration of combustion to promote a draft from the bottom of the cooker up though the hot coals on the coal grate. In doing this you make the most efficient use of the energy contained in the hot coals as well as controlling the rate at which the hot coals ignite the perimeter coals.

A side benefit to this method is that you can place additional pieces of your smoking wood on the perimeter coals, which will not come to temp for a couple of hours, thereby controlling and, if desired, prolonging the introduction of the smoke throughout the cooking process.

The difference between this method and the Minion method, as I understand it, is time. the result is somewhat the same with regard to length of burn. I have been able to achieve an 20 hour burn (225 F) repeatedly with this method...the extra hour or so comes with the ability to come to temp and begin cooking so quickly.

I hope some of you are able to try this method and respond with results, quetions, etc.

Tom Kitslaar

Tom, I like this idea and will try it Saturday.

?2. Fill the charcoal ring about half full, then by hand, stack the briquettes into a ring around the inner perimeter of the charcoal ring...this will bring the level of coal to the top of the ring resulting in a "hole" in the middle?

May I make a suggestion? Rather than creating a ring by hand, why not get a large can and cut the bottom and top out of it and place it in the middle. Then pour charcoal all around the can to create the ring. Next, pour your hot charcoal into the can and then with a pair of pliers and good gloves on, pull the can out and you are off and running. This would save time by not stacking the charcoal outer ring by hand.

Take care and enjoy your BBQ.

Tom, neat idea, always looking for new ways of firing the ol' WSM. I'll give it a try sometime, and I'll be anxious to hear what others have to say about it. Might need to add it to the website.

Bruce, pretty neat idea about the can. Makes sense! See what happens when we all bounce ideas like this off one another?
smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Tom, sounds like something that is worth a try. Especially with Bruce's idea of using a can in the middle. Fortunately I have about 5 big coffee cans(3 pound?) in my garage. Unfortunately, my wife is saving them for a craft she wanted to make this Christmas. Do you think she would miss one?
biggrin.gif

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilbur (edited 07-27-2000).]

Synergy...What a great thought on the coffee can Bruce!

Chris, I will have pictures...including the coffee can after this weekend.

Tom.

Saturday, I tried the "Kitslaar" method and it worked great. I found a 2 lb coffee can in my shop and cut the bottom out and placed it in the center of the fire ring. I then poured charcoal and wood chips around the can. Next I dumped about 1/2 chimmney of hot coals into the can and pulled the can out and I was cooking. Tom was right, the temp went to 250 in a very short time and was stable throughout the cooking time.

I like this method.

Take care and enjoy your BBQ.

Thanks for the feedback Bruce and Tom. I will have to do a test burn on this method.

I am using this method today also. I'm doing a pork shoulder picnic roast. I was able to get up to cooking temp quickly, but I'm not sure it was any quicker than the Minion method, though, since it takes longer to get a full chimney of coals ready than it does to start 15 coals. Also, I had a sudden temp spike up to 290 that took a while to control, but I was only checking once an hour or so.

I still prefer the "lazy-man's Minion" method. I just dump some coals over whatever's left from last time and throw about 15 lit coals on top. I get 3 times as much cooking out of a bag of charcoal, and I only have to clean the charcoal bowl out every 4th time or so.

By the way, that picnic is looking like it's about to fall apart. Life is good...

Steve

I tried the method and it worked as advertised. As far as time it takes to get the cooker to point you can cook, if you take into consideration the time it takes to get the charcoal lit there is almost no difference at all. I will use this method in the future for cooking poultry and on colder weather days. Nice idea!!
Jim

Thanks for the recent feedback on the post.

I experimented further this weekend as well,using the can, and found that 1/2 to 2/3 of a chimney was an adequate amount of coal to get to temp quickly and to minimize the time requirement on the front end.

Keep Q'ing.

TK

Hello again everyone...

I set up and ran 3 different smoking sessions this past week using this method and experienced the following results.

1/2 Chimney of Kingsford to temp (20 min)

Charcoal ring filled 1/2 way to top with a mixture of 50% "used" coals and 50% new coals sorted around the inner perimeter by hand. (To address Steve Bennet's Concern about using "experienced" coals.

Dumped the chimney into the middle of the unlit coals, add smoke wood, assemble smoker with a pan of tap water, open vents 75-80% and you will be to temp (225F) in 10-12 minutes...this is a minimum of 30 minutes faster than any other method I have tried (response please!)

As far as the coffee can goes I found that getting the can to sit still while sorting the coals around the perimeter was a little frustrating and ultimately the hand sort (or a small trowel) was much more effiecient.

With regard to Jim Minion's feedback...a full chimney gets you too a higher temp faster for poultry/cold weather situations, where a 1/2 chimney is adequate for most other uses.

The only downside to this process which i have found is that it leaves more time for yardwork
biggrin.gif

Anyone tried this method since it was posted 4 years ago.

The Minion method worked very well for me, but I may experiment with this technique and compare the times to reach the cooking temp.

Brian A

Brian,

I tried it once, it works OK. I placed a coffee can, with the bottom cut out, into the charcoal ring, then placed unlit coals around it. I then emptied a chimney of fired up coals into the can.

Same priciple as Minion Method, IMHO, except coals burn outward instead of downward.

I have reverted back to regular MM, besides the can is just one more piece of "stuff" to find a place for.

I never saw the original post, but here's the method I used when cooking on a Brinkmann Gourmet, and still use with the WSM.
1. Light a full chimney (I have a cheaper chimney that's smaller than the Weber so it would probably be about 2/3 of a Weber chimney) of charcoal and let it get completely lit.
2. Pour the lit coals against one side of the charcoal ring, keeping them in as compact a pile as possible.
3. Fill the ring with unlit charcoal, pouring briquettes over and around the lit ones.

This is similar to Tom Kitslaar's method, except instead of having the lit coals in the center, I have them at one edge of the pile. The fire will progress horizontally. You can place chunks of wood at various points throughout the pile of unlit charcoal, to have smoke generated over a long period of time as the fire reaches the various chunks of wood. I think my way is quicker to set up (no need to stack the unlit coals carefully to leave a hole for the lit ones).

I do find that this gets the WSM up to temperature quickly.

Also, I think that all the versions of "start with a small, hot fire that then gradually progresses through a pile of unlit charcoal" are variations on the Minion theme.

I am reading this and thinking to myself that someone has ripped of Jim. Then I see the dates and find that the post is outdated. I think there is an actual page on this site that gives a suggestion to put a coffee can in the middle and stack the coals around it the pull the can out as kind of a modified MM.

Got a prok butt cook this weekend so I will give it a try(maybe). Hey Bryan, got some apple wood chunks!! NO MESQUITE THIS WEEKEND!!
icon_eek.gif

Bryan<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Hey Bryan, got some apple wood chunks!! NO MESQUITE THIS WEEKEND!!
icon_eek.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greg, NO WAY This must be a typo.
icon_eek.gif
You drinking again buddy
icon_razz.gif

No Bryan, not drinking...just getting ready to fire up the WSM and throw some apple wood chuncks in and then the 2 pork butts!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back