I say tomato you say tomatoe

Wayne_R

TVWBB All-Star
Goofy mood I guess....

Anyone ever grill green tomatoes. Trying to make lemonade out of lemons. Gopher ate tomato plants and I have some small and medium sized tomatoes.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of doing some steak and chicken drumsticks tonight....

Thanks

PS...if anyone has a great way to kill gophers/moles, I'd appreciate it!

icon_wink.gif
Aparently, you haven't been reading my posts lately.

Fried Green Tomatoes can be made in a Cast Iron Skillet on the grill just as well as on the stove.

Oh, wait...you're from California, you probably didn't grow up eating them.

Try them, Dude! Really.

Wayne,
Only had them fried, like Charles suggests.
You could just oil, s&p them and grill to preferred doneness.
Then add a sweet type cheese to melt on top.
They are a bit tart/sour.

Possibly add a few crushed salad croutons on top too.

We've been doing battle with moles around here.
I think they were gorging on the cicada grubs before they came out.

I heard chewing gum will kill them (gets stuck and can't poop). Just make sure you don't touch the gum, only the wrapper or they won't eat it.

Pain in the a..

seriously, pour 2 BEERS in a large open can or bowl and place NEAR tomato plants.
the gophers will go after the beer instead of your tomatoes, get drunk, pass out...
then the wife gopher comes lookin' for'um and smashes the drunk gopher over the head with a frying pan killing the drunk gopher.

tada! your tomatoes are saved!

Yeah, it would be gophers, because moles don't eat vegetation.
I dig moles, gophers, not so much.

You can use a macabee trap or smoke bomb's if you can get the good one's....my favorite is to stand perfectly still in front of there mound and flip them out with a shovel lol <<<<< not for beginner's though. You can sit real quite with a pellet gun and well you know.

We dont really have those kind of thief´s here in Sweden. But the birds always love the new red baby maters. One trick that works for us is cd´s hanging in a rope above the plants. The reflections from the cd´s scare away the threat´s we have over here. Give it a shot!

Flood there holes they don't like wet ground. If you see a fresh mound of dirt stick a hose in it and watch other holes for them coming out and have a shovel or shot gun ready. Sometimes they will just stick there nose out of the water and not even come out of the hole.

Back